Is there any interest in new RT2 maps?

maddog

As the subject line says, "Is there any interest in new RT2 maps?"

I've been playing with RT2 lately after being away from the the game for about a year and I thought that it might be time to make another map.  I don't know what just yet, but I have been playing with the Lock Haven area of Pennsylvania (go figure, went to college there and it has interesting history).  I don't have a scenario for it yet.  :(  Geographically, the map is largely finished but, as many of you already know, I am weak on the scenario side of the game.

Suggestions?  Opinions?

--Ray.

Actually, I play RRT2 more than 3. I just got tired of all the bugs in 3 and my antique 1ghz system is a little less than desired for 3 to work at it's optimum.

I also have a fairly extensive map archive for RRT2 on my site. I'd be happy to add yours to it, when you get it finished-as well as play it.  ;)

maddog,

I do think that there would be interest in another well thought out and tested map, although the 'RRT2 fan base' is pretty thin these days. With that said, like many people, I have come back to playing the game after letting it collect dust during the last couple of years and am once again enjoying it thoroughly.

I guess we've all seen a lot of disappointing maps that; just haven't had enough effort put in, too buggy, outrageously easy or conversely near-impossible medal targets, no events, etc etc. As a scenario author, it's quite a challange to find the right balance of difficulty (given RRT2's proneness to exploits), do so in a bug-free way, create a unique gameplay environment, without overwhelming the player with excessive and/or convoluted tasks.

With a vast array of designed scenarios under my belt ... well one actually ... I should say that I got tremendous input from having a couple of people 'beta test' mine, which helped redefine the medal goals, the start-up conditions, and the way blank squares were set out. I'd recommend that if you do go ahead with developing a new map, that you try to get some willing soul(s) to play it through as a test run, so they can not only identify any glitches, but also provide some new thoughts on how to possibly build further on your efforts.

When creating my Tasmania scenario (plug plug  ;) ), I tried to find ways to force the player to build widely across the map, not become overly reliant on a small number of resource sites (in that in this instance you had to draw produce from lots of orchards to achieve Bronze), to encourage some share market activity without a PNW goal dominating the game (where the exploits really do start to get used), provide bonuses for players that developed other industries beyond those in the game's objectives (being produce and canned food), provide some choices to the player in terms of which bonuses they wanted, whether they wanted to take early delivery of desirable locomotives, and so forth. I'm not suggesting that it's the greatest scenario ever made, but I hope that it would sit comfortably amongst other scenarios that a player might try once in a while.

Anyway ... I think in answer to your question, I would say 'yes'. There are a few RRT2 die-hards, but there are also many who will pick up the game and play it for a couple of months, and a fresh new challenge I think would be well received if you're prepared to put in the time and effort.

Hawk,

Many thanks for hosting my scenario!  ;D You have a great collection there.

I'm always interested in a new RRT2 scenario but I'm somewhat selective about which ones I give attention to for various reasons.

I also gave up on RT3 quite a while ago after forcing myself to play longer that I should have. I started playing RRT2 about Jan/2000 and come back from time to time between RPG's and a couple MMORPG's that I've been into this year. And my 866 seems to be even more of an antique than Hawk's machine.

Cam's Tasmania is a very good TSC scenario but probably too hard for the people who are still around. There is still a thread started at H&P in Jan/2002 containing a good conversation between MrMathy and JSS about this scenario. It has spoilers in it though. Also the link may soon be gone.

I actually found and am attaching the default2.lng file MrMathy made for Tasmania. Haven't looked at it but I'm pretty sure I finished it. Perhaps Cam and Hawk want to try it out and add it to the zip file at Hawk's site if you think its worth it. Just drop it into the RRT2 directory. But first either rename or move your existing default2.lng file.

I am not a map maker myself so the 2 scenarios I made both used the Heartland map and were designed to require exploitation of the game, whereas some others have tried to counteract some of the exploits. Hawk, please feel free to add them to your site if you wish.

Heartland Auto was actually created back in Aug/2000 for a member, among others, who apparently liked to exploit the AI's and their higher incomes. (Its amazing what BS I believed in those days. ). It also has a multiplayer requirement of cooperation instead of competition, an original idea that got the usual amount of feedback, none. 

Heartland Heaven was originally conceived in the fall of 2002 because of many comments at the time about various things. It takes a reverse approach of creating AI's instead of destroying them, as well as actually needing "stop the trains", low passenger and high industry development.

Cam would classify these as being too hard, but so is Tasmania.  ;)

default2.zip

Loco,

... on the default2.lng file ... fantastic! Thanks a ton!

... on Tasmania, I'm surprised it's seen as a particularly difficult scenario - Steve M (Mr. Mathy) hit the objectives considerably earlier than the finishing date, and since then I have always been concerned that it was too easy.

... and I'm looking forward to getting in to 'Heartland Heaven'! (119 GG1s!)  :O

• 2 months later...

Really?  Therre is still interest?

COOL!  I have a map that Ineeds two fixes - making sure the lose piece works and finding a way to get your initial RR's stock price back to $50 instead of $2!

The map was Steve Lorenz' unfinished map of Chicago to New Orleans. I turned it into a map of the Illinois Central. They were the first railroad to receive a land grant from the federal government.

When I fix I think I will upload it here!

To change the price of a stock:

In the editor take over a company you want to change the stock value for.

Buy back stock and the stock price goes up.

Sell stock and the price goes down.

Last reset the company cash amount.

What I can't figure out is how JSS put back a chairman after resigned from controling an AI railroad.  :-\

3 Zs  I moved a while back and misplaced my password for Gwizz and the passwords needed to work in this forum, move maps, etc.

Yea, JSS was able to put the original Chairman back into his job.

Something about taking control of an AI in the editor, changing the new chairman, you, then using select the next player.

I must have missed a detail someplace.  It doesn't work for me.

With the possibility of being hit on Friday with the new virus, I backed up all my data.  I found a Terminal file that I haven't looked at yet.  If I'm lucky it will be the passwords I lost.