(SOLVED) Black bars on top/bottom ---read to play dune in fullscreen on widescreen displays---

skuallx

EDIT: read the last messages to see how fix this and more information.

This thread provides solution to play Dune 2000 in FULLSCREEN mode in WIDESCREEN displays!!! :D

Solution: download Powerstrip software, then create a profile on program to force your desktop 640x400, then save and use this profile on "dune2000.exe". So when you execute Dune 2000 automatically changes your desktop resolution.... voilĂ !!!

Perfect for me, i use a 1366x768 resolution.

thanks to geesus78! :D

--Original message-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! i've been trying to run dune 2000 without this "black bars" as you see in the attachment... but still i can't... i understand that dune runs at 640x480 or 640x400, not 800x600 right?... so my desktop res is 1366x768 (WS), so my question is: is there any way to force dune to fill all the screen?

i've played it before in a netbook with res 1024x600 and was not "black bars".

also i've played it in a desktop computer with res 1024x768 and there's not black bars.

so im thinking that the "768" is not a problem, so in 1366x768 must exist a way to get fullscreen without black borders

my graphic card is ATI HD 5470, thanks!, note: i have tried changing resolutions

edit: i just realize that my dune runs at 640x400..... how i can run it at 640x480?, maybe in this mode the "black bars" gone

post-2442-048512400 1293210145_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone! i've been trying to run dune 2000 without this "black bars" as you see in the attachment... but still i can't... i understand that dune runs at 640x480 or 640x400, not 800x600 right?... so my desktop res is 1366x768 (WS), so my question is: is there any way to force dune to fill all the screen?

also i've played it in a desktop computer with res 1024x768 and there's not black bars.

so im thinking that the "768" is not a problem, so in 1366x768 must exist a way to get fullscreen without black borders

my graphic card is ATI HD 5470, thanks!, note: i have tried changing resolutions

edit: i just realize that my dune runs at 640x400..... how i can run it at 640x480?, maybe in this mode the "black bars" gone

not likely, its up to your monitor. I would prefer the black bars to having my screen stretched, which is what mine does.

640x400 only.. Stretching most of the time distorts graphics and fonts become unreadable. It is horrible.

Unluckily TFT and LED monitors have a fixed resolution.

Avail yourself a CRT monitor from the local recycling center. There you can resize your screen either from the monitor itself or better through software (you save the setting and with a click you 've got it!) in a snap.

640x400 only.. Stretching most of the time distorts graphics and fonts become unreadable. It is horrible.

Unluckily TFT and LED monitors have a fixed resolution.

Avail yourself a CRT monitor from the local recycling center. There you can resize your screen either from the monitor itself or better through software (you save the setting and with a click you 've got it!) in a snap.

as bad as stretching is, a CRT is like having your teeth ripped out and shoved in your eyes.

thanks to all...

but i'll keep using my laptop LED monitor.

unfortunately i can't resize the screen... but the screen streched is not that bad as you said. the image retains his aspect (i've tried before), is like an 4:3 aspect expanded sideways and the best of all is conect the laptop to an 42" LCD TV and play it... wow :D

thanks to all...

but i'll keep using my laptop LED monitor.

unfortunately i can't resize the screen... but the screen streched is not that bad as you said. the image retains his aspect (i've tried before), is like an 4:3 aspect expanded sideways and the best of all is conect the laptop to an 42" LCD TV and play it... wow :D

that must be bad stretching on a 42 inch.

that must be bad stretching on a 42 inch.

actually it looks awesome... I always respect the aspect ratio of the game, never streched. so... it looks same as that image that I attached, but to much bigger! really cool :)...

by the way... what's happen with the polfan patch?---- i think they are trying to get 1024x768 and some more things...

actually it looks awesome... I always respect the aspect ratio of the game, never streched. so... it looks same as that image that I attached, but to much bigger! really cool :)...

by the way... what's happen with the polfan patch?---- i think they are trying to get 1024x768 and some more things...

you mean hyper`s patch?

Polifan was abandoned before I even arrived at this site, and was never even half way done.

in truth was project to enchance gameplay , they had for their years some good tools and good team for programming . After they worked out some coding and managed to dig into dune2k , they could make some heavy changes that i was just observing it , i know that they were trying to convert first red alert to dune because they had finished functional tesla coil for harkonnen ,i did played modified dune2000 with this change, but it was not revealing notthing new. just new bulding.. other changes were just some grapchical inteface changes , heavy metal mp3 converted to aud files to make it some cool , missions changes and some other things that i dont know.

but looking throught chronology , i have started to modify dune2k missions map files, i told them that this is generally possible and they were doing their own, soon team disappeared and project was abadoned/destroyed , i continued to make mission maps, then gruntlord mvi devasta and other players started to make maps for missions.

shai hulud was key to change map things for dune2000 missions, but its heav to understand, so we should have editor with grapchical interface to make enchanced map editor

btw. anyone know how to kill these dark bars? because my screen looks like in cinema

===============

mysterious strange thing with carryal in production tab without having factory to produce it, i just tested one thing that left after their ""death"" - it worked and i could click carryal production tab for some seconds, but seconds later carryal in production tab disappears. it was when reinforcements were dropped and only there was buildable mysterious carryal.

• 6 months later...

Hi! I had the same problem with an ATI HD 4500. Dont know either how to force 640x480 or 640x400 resolution (besides that "dune2000.exe -f" should use 640x400).

I realized that I didn't have 400 as an resolution option at the catalyst control center, so I added it as custom resolution with Powerstrip (just goolge it) and since than no black bars no more. Strangely with compatibility settings Win95/98 they still appear, with Win2000 or higher or without compatibility settings it works fine.

Maybe this will do the trick for you too.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Hi! I had the same problem with an ATI HD 4500. Dont know either how to force 640x480 or 640x400 resolution (besides that "dune2000.exe -f" should use 640x400).

I realized that I didn't have 400 as an resolution option at the catalyst control center, so I added it as custom resolution with Powerstrip (just goolge it) and since than no black bars no more. Strangely with compatibility settings Win95/98 they still appear, with Win2000 or higher or without compatibility settings it works fine.

Maybe this will do the trick for you too.

Good luck!

THANKS geesus78!!!!!! it work!!!! you solved a huge problem for me, thanks again! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I actually managed to fix this on other games (with my NVidia) by adding 640x400 as custom resolution in my NVidia Control Panel. That made the game use by entire screen, with just black bars at the left and right (since it doesn't completely fill my widescreen).

• 1 year later...

I amazed that all of you guys figgured out how to use powerstrip<?> First when I started to use it shut down my lap top few times and then I tryed to change my resolution from 1366x768 to 800x600 and then it started. Now can any1 explane to me how to and where aply that on dune. Every where I looked with help of gooogle it shows some hardvere device called powerstrip? I cant see any option how to use that on dune.