So...

Commander_Strife

so I was thinking... if Westwood's not supporting or doing anything to help with Dune 2000 stuff that only they could help with... then... who's to say that Dune 2000 can't be considered abandonware? think about it for a sec, before a possible trolling or ignoring of that question...

Westwood made Dune 2000 if I'm not mistaken... then they can make a map editor for Dune 2000 and even modding tools for it aswell, since they did make it and would take only a day to make if they tried (considering with the amount of time they "used" up on C&C 4 Tiberian Dawn) but since it's only up to the fans to make such things... then, well... I guess it is ^^

Note: This is just my opinion on the matter of companies turning their back on the fans, which has happened with almost every game that's ever wanted to be modded and changed to make more fun. I just don't want to see such a cool and good game die... (I know it's dead already I mean have it become a forgotten game)

As far as I understand the matter, copyright issues arise from the fact that Dune is a trademark, and many designs in Dune 2000 are directly based on David Lynch's film, which is/was copyright to Dino De Laurentiis Corporation. I don't know exact details, but I think this is the reason why EA cannot declare Dune games made by Westwood Studios freeware.

As far as I understand the matter, copyright issues arise from the fact that Dune is a trademark, and many designs in Dune 2000 are directly based on David Lynch's film, which is/was copyright to Dino De Laurentiis Corporation. I don't know exact details, but I think this is the reason why EA cannot declare Dune games made by Westwood Studios freeware.

Personally I think it's because they don`t care. They are licensing it for sale to wholesalers till.

That's an issue with many games. Companies care only to take your money. A new version to get more money that is not necessarily better. Just shinny 3D graphics to attract new customers. Game play may even be worse. Only freeware games can have a real future. But there are not many quality ones around.