Splice

Lord J

So.... My wife and I just saw this movie.

So.... Yeah.... Interesting movie. I actually considered posting this in PRP due to the various philosophical/ethical topics involved (and it may well be moved there depending on how the discussion moves). Indeed, a very disturbing movie.

So, I want to avoid spoilers, but here are a few questions for discussion (there are possible spoilers, but I've tried to keep things at around the same level of description as the trailer and reviews):

As a behavioral psychologist (at least, as someone who is wrapping up the main requirements to be called such) the whole purpose of research is publication. If you cannot publish it and thereby advance the science, there is no reason to do it! My wife disagrees, and argues that if given funding and technology, scientists would be more than willing to bend ethical considerations to show (as Elsa says,) that the possibility exists. What do you guys think about this? Are there any bioethics people that can weigh in?

A major part of the story involves the development of the creature from a mass of cells, to a proto-organism, to an almost-human creature. Whereas the subject could have been terminated at any point along the way, as time passed, termination became less and less likely. So... there are the obvious religious questions about where an embryo ceases to be a creature and becomes a life-form, but I'm also interested in the tendency of human behavior to just let things "sit" or "slide" or (I'm sure there are better ways to say this) "gestate" before actually taking action; specifically, the most obvious course of action (still trying to keep from spoiling anything). How and why exactly do we maintain the status quo in the face of deteriorating conditions? What are some far-reaching implications of this tendency (that we've all experienced)?

Of course, one of the main questions, at this point, is whether such technology is possible. Granted, there are lots of holes in the application of this technology in the film, and as my wife and I discussed, actual scientists would probably take lengths to prevent certain... aspects of the organism's phenotype. How would society react though, to minor steps forward, or even rapid steps in developing this technology? Interestingly, the whole idea of what makes humanity human in most religious thought, is the breath of life. What role do genes play in this concept?

Finally, there are sexual aspects that I will only... hint at, at this level. Regardless to say, there are certain Freudian concepts that underly facets of the film. Ethical questions regarding sexual development is nothing new in this form of film (anyone see Species with the beautiful Natasha Henstridge?), but the simple point of its repetition in film suggests that it is a critical aspect of the human condition (jeeze, I don't mean to be so vague). Anyway, here is the point: what role does sexual development play in society and family dynamics, and why is it such a hot topic?

Ok, so I will probably post more later. Anyway, very interesting film. Let me know what you all think. I probably should have posted this in PRP, actually, but it will at least see more light here in General.

Sarah Polley yah!! Watch it just for her.

In other news I didn't realize I was watching the Stanley cup finales. And then the announcer says Chicago won the cup after a goal. I need a life.

omg thank god the philly fans are smart enough to BOOOO Gary Bettman. He's a traitor to Canadian hockey.

Interesting, I saw a trailer for this a while back and figured it was a horror thriller but from what you say, and the reviews I have now read, I'm quite intrigued.  As for the questions your asking, I think we let things slide out of laziness, curiosity, or apathy (and perhaps love).  Concerning far reaching implications I feel it enables acceptance among people with different views and its when people arent willing to let go it makes it so others either have to conform or conflict occurs, I would say its an essential for being a social creature as well as a independent thinker.  Lacking this ability would make us particularly antisocial, the easiest example I can think of being religions that demote, despise, or encourage the destruction of non believers.

In terms of family dynamics and sexuality, a very common trait in pretty much all life is the alpha pairs mating and being those that are sexually enabled.  Alphas are decided by either physical traits or behavioral traits and generally the parents take the position of alpha in a family unit, sexual development could be perceived as a threat to that position.  You can look beyond that to why the alpha position might be necessary in the first place, to produce the best offspring possible and conserve resources, sexual development can be a conflict to both areas.

Put those two topics together and you get humans talent for enabling all sorts of genetically inferior/undesirable traits to persist in the form of hereditary disease etc.

PS: I hope you didnt ruin the movie with all your very suggestive hints..

PPS: Yes this does fit better in PRP

• 2 months later...