stefanhendriks

Dune II music 'hidden' in real music?

11 posts in this topic

Was listening to Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers. Around 2:25 it really sounds like a Dune II song to me! :)

Here is the song @ youtube:

There and 4.15, I see what you mean, but I'm not convinced it isn't coincidental. 

Moreover, if they wanted to put it in there's a section around 3.30 where it could actually fit a lot better.

::) I was hoping more people had heard other pieces of music which resembles dune (2) music. But it is probably hard to find :)

The music from Dune 2000 as well as some in Emperor: Battle for Dune resembles Dune 2 music ;D

Some of these tracks here feel quite reminiscent of Dune 2/2000 (it's a very nice soundtrack for a Tiberian Sun mod).

[Edit] Oh, and by the way, Stefan, the way you formulated the thread title seems to imply that Dune 2 music is somehow not "real" enough, as it is opposed to "real" music as you put it. I'm certain it was not the intention to belittle the aesthetic significance of Frank Klepacki's work ;)

Wow.

Stefan, do your research. Dune II was from 1992. This Deep Purple song is from 1984.

To be fair, Stefan did not even once say Dune 2 music is used in the mentioned Deep Purple song. The word "hidden" in the title is put in quotation marks, which does not imply that a piece of Dune 2 music is actually present in some other music.

In fact, I meant that Frank perhaps was influenced by Deep Purple... (not the other way around).

I think that in some interview of maybe in a conversation at Petroglyph forums Frank mentioned his musical preferences, so it can be checked. Or, you could mail him and ask directly, I've heard he's very friendly and does not treat people with neglect :)

I've seen the David Lynch movie. The music is obviously based on that.

Probably characteristic of music from the late 80s and early 90s, they love that style at the time