Dune timeline question

carriepalmer

"Genetic Trust"

A belief that we must hold that the son cares deeply about the father's legacy, and that the ability to write and author on a particular subject is likely handed down from the elder to the younger.

The first part makes sense. I've never believed that Brian Herbert had anything but good intentions. The second is bullcrap, as Jean Baptiste Lamark well knows (He postulated a theory of evolution before Darwin that worked along similar lines: that parents pass on great strength, skill, etc to their children. It doesn't work like that).

The first part makes sense. I've never believed that Brian Herbert had anything but good intentions. The second is bullcrap, as Jean Baptiste Lamark well knows (He postulated a theory of evolution before Darwin that worked along similar lines: that parents pass on great strength, skill, etc to their children. It doesn't work like that).

I mean not only some pre-disposition due to genetics; but also teaching of the child by the father. A child observing, being present when events occur of the father.

"Genetic Trust"

A belief that we must hold that the son cares deeply about the father's legacy, and that the ability to write and author on a particular subject is likely handed down from the elder to the younger.

Shukran for the clarifications.

As I suspected, complete nonsense. ::)

There is no necessity to hold a belief that is not supported by evidence, especially one that is in fact contradicted by the evidence at hand (that BH actually cares about his father's legacy). Furthermore, there are numerous examples arguing against a belief that ability is necessarily handed down from generation to generation.

Sandchigger, you know it's hard for me to take you seriously, with your quote from "Boston Legal".

Well I certainly am not going to change it just to make you happy, Sugar. Even if you are unable to ignore such distractions and concentrate on the matter at hand. Deal with it, because I could say exactly the same with respect to your user name. :)

I'll send it to you as soon as I find out where I saved it.

Thanks! :) Will he know you as "Dunenewt" if I mention where I got his address?

I mean not only some pre-disposition due to genetics; but also teaching of the child by the father. A child observing, being present when events occur of the father.

<i>"How do you call among you the triffling gambit, the one about the son observing the father?" Paul asked, remembering the pop-hop motion of other nubukfans when cornered. He illustrated with one hand.

A chuckle sounded through the troop.

"We call that one 'Dune over Wheaties'," Stilgar said.</i>

Dunenewt's question is quite pertinent. If you knew about BH's relationship with his father, how he grew up resenting the time FH spent on his writing, how he hadn't even read <i>Dune</i> until he was older, how they supposedly did not reconcile until many years later, you would know how silly this argument is.

Come on, pull out something new. You're just regurgitating the same ole McDune fan rationalizations now.

"Genetic Trust"

May I ask if the term "genetic trust" is only applied to the situation at hand, or could it be expanded to other instances when heirs to well-known artists continue their ancestor's legacy in various ways?

Also, is the term "genetic trust" included in any dictionaries of the English language?

As for the definition itself, I will refrain from criticizing it, as all the relevant points have been already addressed by the others.

Also, is the term "genetic trust" included in any dictionaries of the English language?

None that I know of. I'd never heard of it, but then as I've already said, I'm not a lawyer.

Googling turns up no definition even remotely related to how he's trying to use it. Lots of stuff about protecting your individual DNA information, though. ;)