Canadians set out for the moon

Tatar Khan

This is what I got in an e-mail from the Canadian Air and Space Museum, I am a member of.

"The Canadian Air & Space Museum has been approached by a team of highly reputable space industry professionals (including a Canadian Astronaut) regarding entering a Canadian team into the Lunar X Prize competition.

Please visit GoogleLunarXprize.org for details about the Lunar X Prize.

Canadians have been leaders in aviation, aerospace and the space industry, but the world is not aware of our tremendous contribution because we have not done a good job of telling them.

We believe that a Canadian team in the competition can be used to focus the attention on the engineering talent and achievements in this country and encourage investments in the Canadian space industry. We also believe that the museum can garner massive exposure by becoming a key supporter of this team.

The team will need a minimum of ten million dollars to get to the moon, where all eyes from around the world will be on the rover that will carry the Canadian flag. The world has not seen live images from the moon since Apollo and the level of intrigue and excitement around the landing will be tremendous.

We are working with the team to raise money[...]

funds must be privately raised.  The biggest opportunity to raise public funds is to offer people a chance to get their name on the moon, by engraving it on a plaque that would be on the side of the spacecraft that would carry the Canadian Rover to the moon. What we need to discern is what price people would pay for the chance, realizing it's not a guarantee but certainly the goal.

Everyone who purchases the potential for their name to be on the moon, will be  entered to win a chance to operate the Canadian Lunar Rover on the moon surface, via a remote control handset. One person will win this prize. The person who gives the most money will also be afforded the same opportunity."

The moon would be a perfect place for a penis enlargement ad!

They should definitely do the plaque on moon thing. Let's say $10 million divided into say 5000 names ($2000 donation each), or decrease number of names. Same thing happened with Firefox getting an ad in new york times. It had donors names on background.

The micro donation system works pretty good.

Can't afford $10 million for a trip into space? How about $5000 to get name on plaque onto moon? Pretty good bragging rights.

They should definitely do the plaque on moon thing. Let's say $10 million divided into say 5000 names ($2000 donation each), or decrease number of names. Same thing happened with Firefox getting an ad in new york times. It had donors names on background.

The micro donation system works pretty good.

Can't afford $10 million for a trip into space? How about $5000 to get name on plaque onto moon? Pretty good bragging rights.

Actually the survey they did went up only to $100 per name.

But most people at the Museum can't really believe that 10 million would be enough

I wished I had looked at the link before reading your comment, when I saw this over there:

I've Got an idea :: RE: A thin and tall rocket or a fat and short one?
???