19" CRT dead?

Today my old 19" CRT monitor stopped working for my old computer. It was on and working but left unattended so it went to power saving mode (presumably), and when tried to make it show up again it did not.

The power light is on (green=good) and it makes the noises when changing resolution when booting, but nothing ever appears. I hooked my LCD monitor up to my old computer and it worked fine, so it has to be the monitor. I hooked the CRT monitor to my new computer and same thing (blank). The CRT monitor is about 6 years old.

It is a Viewsonic E90.

Any chance of getting it repaired (ie something simple to do to fix it?)?

Or should I just bring it to a repair person, get them to see if it works there, if not then throw it in garbage and purchase a new one?

I am borrowing a 17" CRT monitor from someone for now until I figure out what to do. If I do get a new monitor I will give my current 20.1" LCD to the old computer and purchase myself a new 24" LCD.

Hmm, also what is needed for dual monitors? Do I need two monitor input things on my tower? My LG 204wt 20.1 has a DVI input on the monitor (but none on the tower). I presume I would need a decent graphics card and not an onboard intel?

I guess I'll look at Multi Monitor wiki. Seems like it wont be a good idea with my current computer setup.

I presume I would need a decent graphics card and not an onboard intel?

I guess I'll look at Multi Monitor wiki. Seems like it wont be a good idea with my current computer setup.

I believe the Geforce 5500 started using the DVI conn. on it. That's what I put together for the wifes PC with her CRT.The big 25" LCD is mine.  ;D God I would never go back to CRT's now. You can probably get a card with the DVI for around $30.Maybe alot cheaper than that on Newegg.OR just buy the little DVI jack itself for a buck or two, then it just plugs into your card.

Here's what I'm talking about this came with my vid card though......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201

That is really all you need if you don't want to get a new vid card."Converts LCD/ DVI port into VGA port, works with most video cards (will not work with DVI-D and DVIS ports)

DVI male to VGA Female".

Hmm, also what is needed for dual monitors? Do I need two monitor input things on my tower? My LG 204wt 20.1 has a DVI input on the monitor (but none on the tower). I presume I would need a decent graphics card and not an onboard intel?

You either need two graphics cards or one with two outputs. Being it two of the same (VGA + VGA, or DVI + DVI), or two different ones (VGA + DVI). My current home computer has a Radeon with VGA + DVI. With the converter mentioned in SCar51500's post I connect to VGA monitors to it.

Depending on it's use, an onboard VGA card is not that bad. My first dual setup was with an onboard and PCI card. Later on I was hooked on the Matrox Millennium 2 cards. And even today I still have Millennium G series dual head cards in use. If you are gon'na use it to combine FireFox with Openoffice at the same time that onboard card will be just fine. :)

Apparently used 17" CRT monitors can be bought for $30, so it's not worth even bringing the monitor in to check on.

So now the debate begins.

22" or 24" Pros and cons.

22" are cheaper than 24" by 30%

22" and my current 20.1" monitor both use 1680*1050 resolution. 24" starts at 1920*1200. Is there a big difference in resolution? Lets say I have a 22" and a 24" both running same version of windows with native monitor resolutions. Will the start button (or say text on a website) be smaller on the 24" because of the higher resolution? Will everything be smaller because of higher resolution? Or is the higher resolution just making up for the difference in 2" increase of size (although really I'm guessing it is to make up for the 20" to 24" difference which makes it necessary to increase resolution or else everything would be big on the screen)?

Would a 24" consume a lot more power than 22"?

My current lg204wt 20.1" apparently uses 45 watts, and from a review for a 24" uses 130 watts.

I'm also guessing that most 24" are high definition supported (1080p) and the 22" are not so getting a 24" would last longer as technology increases (say I want to watch a bluray on my monitor).

EDIT:

Seems I was correct a review for a 24" says this

Like pretty much every other 24in monitor, the 245B sports a native resolution of 1,920 x 1,200, which is becoming a very desirable option for a number of reasons. The most obvious plus point of a 1,920 x 1,200 resolution is that it gives you a lot of desktop real estate and allows you to have several windows open at once. But another significant advantage to this resolution over the 1,680 x 1,050 resolution seen on 20, 21 and 22in widescreen monitors is the ability to display 1080p high definition content.

Go for the triple monitor setup like me. Samsung 225BW in the middle with a BenQ FP937s on each side. And using Synergy to link my Ubuntu and Windows computers together... hope that helps. :)

But whatever you do I recommend getting a good monitor because its what you spend all your time looking at. Go into stores and look at the monitors because reading reviews and technical specs is different then seeing it in person.

Yes, someone I know is going to look for MVA panel monitor for me. See if any are cheap at the moment. They normally cost $500 which is a bit pricey for me. I´ve only had my 20.1 inch monitor since January 2007. Not a very long time. But if it means replacing the 40 lbs 19¨ CRT then I guess it is worth it. How did computer users survive with 15¨ screen space 5-10 years ago??

Doubt I´d go with triple monitor. Got too much junk on my desk (cleaning it now, will take a day or two to complete :P). And a 24" will take up all the monitor space. Only place to put them would be on the top shelf of my computer desk, which is currently full of junk ;D

Sometime you should post a short review of what you think of ubuntu in the ubuntu thread Gob (maybe how you started using it). You havn´t posted in any of the 3 threads I made over the years so I was a bit surprised.

I´m posting this from ubuntu as I was getting latest updates for it. I´ll probably post in ubuntu thread in a week with some stuff.