Dubai: Soon to be largest tourist destination?

Andrew

So a relative is vacationing there now, at a villa in Palm Islands (those massive man made islands). Reading the blog and seeing the pictures is amazing. The villa is big (large middle class American house size, but modern since new) with waterfront/pool/2 door garage/5 bedrooms. The floor plan for it can be found here and click on MEDITERRANEAN/Atrium Entry 2 'view'.

When a cities growth is measured by the attached picture taken less than a week ago, and it is said to have 20% of the worlds cranes, that is extreme growth.

Wish I was there :(

Anyone else hear crazy stories about this place?

I know they have an indoor ski park, and some very large malls, and are breaking most structural records.

post-1194-12833239651261_thumb.jpg

post-1194-12833239652578_thumb.jpg

Maybe expensive but definitely a place for people with money to go if you want to see crazy development and wonders.

At the Palm Islands wiki it says this:

The Palm Jebel Ali is expected to accommodate 1.7 million people by 2020.
Upon completion, The Palm Deira will become the world's largest man-made island, housing more than a million people

These man made islands will accommodate ~3 million people when completed. So about half the population of London, England could live on these islands to put in perspective.

Dubai airport is large and showing huge growth of passengers (9 million in 1997, 35 million 2007).

I'm pretty sure in a documentary I saw that the airline is purchasing more airplanes than any other airline. Ahh, here is info. Seventh largest airline with 150 planes with 250 more ordered.

3 large malls in the city, each being the largest malls in the world (with exception to one in China)

Mall of the Emirates - one with famous indoor skiing

Dubai Mall - largest mall when opened in late 2008. 1200 stores.

Mall of Arabia

I'm pretty sure in one of those malls they are planning on making another indoor ski resort.

Wild Wadi Water park

Basically a Las Vegas on an infinitely larger scale.

Picture showing growth between 1990 and 2003 here

So about half the population of London, England could live on these islands to put in perspective.

Greater London has a population of 7.5 million, and the metropolitan area a population of 14 million.

The Mall of Arabia is the largest shopping centre in the world isn't it?  I read an article about it once.

Yeah, according to the wiki it will be when completed. So whoever finishes first will be the largest mall, and whoever finishes last will probably add some more to beat that record.

According to official website it will open in 2010, being the largest mall. The picture makes it look like the Hanging Garden of Babylon. Although I'm not sure where they are going to find raptors. The second picture looks like crap but the third one makes up for it.

Guess I should add they have the 2 tallest hotels in the world.

The famous Burj-al-Arab and the newly crowned tallest hotel Rose Tower. Both are open.

Dubailand will become the largest amusement park (twice the size of the current leader, Walt Disney World).

Heck here is a wiki of all major developments in Dubai.

They're crazy.

About the raptors, I was making a joke :P The picture made it look like raptors were roaming the area and almost getting hit by a vehicle.

I wonder if they do fear a terrorist attack over there?  Perhaps from the Army of Jesus?  I don't know, although the programme I was watching last night featured a Jesus Camp where they trained kids to die for Christianity.