D2TM GFX Update Sneak Preview

MrFlibble

I've looked at the Mentat graphics I made for the latest release of D2TM, and didn't like it. So I decided to create improved graphical sets using some Photoshop tricks I've come up with recently. So here's the result: currently I've done the static Mentat images, some unit icons, and an enlarged House selection screen. Images below:

pmentatacs6.png

pmentathim5.th.png pmentatozi0.th.png pmentatmmt7.th.png pheraldpr5.th.png

Your background looks very good. I think I could use it with the current Mentat pics, if you don't mind.

For resizing, I use the median filter applied to original images enlarged with the "nearest neighbour" interpolation method - others only make resized pics too blurry. Usually I take the original image, enlarge it 8 times, apply median with 4 pixel radius, blur, resize to 4 times the original size (again, using the nearest neighbour interpolation), blur some more, and resize to 2 times the size. Sharpening the final image is optional. Of course, this method is not optimal, but it gives quite decent results in my opinion.

Photoshopping the mentat faces does decent results, but the background, when converted back to the 256 color palette, wishes a lot to be desired. Inspired by Nema's mentat background art, I've given a try to resizing it by hand. Here's the current result (see attachment).

EDIT: Attachment removed because there's a newer version now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Photoshopping the mentat faces does decent results, but the background, when converted back to the 256 color palette, wishes a lot to be desired. Inspired by Nema's mentat background art, I've given a try to resizing it by hand. Here's the current result (see attachment).

Is there no support for 32 bit color?

• 4 weeks later...

There is a limit to some pictures in d2tm. Like, units and such, so the correct team colors can be applied.

However, there are enough places (and i believe the mentat is one of them) where the restriction does not apply.

Btw, would anyone be interested in doing some psp stuff?