URGENT (seriously:D) console support for 3G

Basically, my situation is this. Having being assured numerous times by a Vodacom (SA service provider) attendee that 3G supports consoles, I chose a 3G contract. However, returning home and testing said attendee's inference quickly proved otherwise. Now, I have a chance to swap this contract for another contract from said company (their idea of fairness is forcing me to give them my money in a different way it seems). However, rumour has it that in fact, ps3and Wii online services are in fact operable from a 3G line.

I understand that this may seem all a bit silly, but If I do not find some method whereby said consoles online capabilities can be used via 3G, I soon shall be strung up by more console focused family!  :O :'( ;D

I understand that 3G (HDSPA) may not be available or known outside of South Africa, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Well, honestly, I know next to nothing about anything regarding electronics. How would I find the specs of my connection? (not currently using a router, but the Wii does come with an ethernet adapter that I haven't used yet)

I do apologize for my blatant ignorance on this issue, but what router would I require?

(edit)

Well, I atleast now know that 3G is wireless, so I suppose I shouldn't be looking for a router. But what then?

Thank you

(edit)

When I try to download mIRC, I receive the following error message:

''Internet Explorer cannot download... cf&pid=1076466&psid=10001733 from

software-files.download.com.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requrested site

is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.''

?

Your connection speeds should be in the contract you have signed. Nothing technical just numbers on a piece of paper. :)

For the rest. How did you connect your console to your internet (HSDPA) connection. And did you receive any equipment from Vodacom with your subscription.

I presume you already have a computer setup to use the HSDPA connection. Can you simple hook the console up the same way as your computer and see if that works ?

Supposedly I have a 3.6 MB connections (according to Vodacom guy and toolbar). Im assuming that mega bits and not mega bytes, so 365kbps line or something (a mega bit is 100 kb right?)

I have hooked my Wii up directly to my modem (just plugged it into the USB port). I received a message saying no adapter is inserted.

My brother tried the same with his PS3, but I wouldn't know the details, only that it didn't work.

It seems hooking it up as I did the computer does not suffice.

You can not use the USB modem directly on your Wii. You either need a modem with an UTP / network connection. Or connect the USB modem to your computer, use Windows Internet Connection Sharing on your computer and connect your Wii via the network port to your pc.

Best option you have is getting an ethernet modem and not use the USB modem. :)

I think I will try to connect useing windows internet connection sharing. would you care to explain how I do this, and what software I may need? I suppose I shall connect my Wii to my computers port as I would connect a hub to my comp in a lan, but other than I don't know what I else I might need to do or run.

Well I can still change my contract, so I guess I'll ask about getting an ethernet modem. Does the modem work with 3g though? There's basically no I-burst support in my area. Now that I've sighned with Vodacom I have to chose from their variety, and even if I could if I had to rely on the incompetents at Telkom (partially goverment owned, hence the incompetence) then I may have to wait months for internet access.

What is a UTP connection?

btw, all of this help is greatly appreciated, not many places in the world where such freindliness can be found in abundance  :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

You might want to check out the link above. :)

If you change your current USB modem for a UTP modem / router, try to get it from your ISP. That way you know it works. If they don't offer one you can stick with Windows ICS or buy a HSDPA modem / router.

:)

I tried the website and it didn't work for some reason. If I look at http://ircatwork.com/ I see that you first enter your nickname, server and channel. 

Server: You'd put an Undernet one like

london.uk.eu.undernet.org

helsinki.fi.eu.Undernet.org

elsene.be.eu.undernet.org

Channel: #help

If unfruitful on your side, you can still download the mIRC program at www.download.com. With mIRC, you pick a nickname you think won't be used, go to channels and pick an Undernet one, and then could type manually "/join #help" once it successfully has connected

Good luck