5/1/07 Never Forget

Andrew

I have no love for the MPAA either, figure what it means if an European like me says that, but that article you cited has something wrong with it Andrew. I couldn't seem to track the statement of "70% by Canada, 40% by New York" back to its source. As both articles dealing with the subject are not news items, but opinions, I can't really trust them.

Companies don't usually make numbers up. They just phrase them in such a way others will interpret them incorrectly. An example is how the MPAA would claim they "lost" x $ on profit. What is correct, is that the amount of pirated copies times the selling price of the product equals x $. However, they seem to claim they have lost that amount of money, which they would otherwise have had. This ignores the point that someone who pirates a copy wouldn't have necessarily bought the copy if pirating it would have been impossible.

I think advertisements annoy me more than something like fairly used DRM would. If I buy a DVD, start to watch the film, only to have to look at 10 seconds of "Don't pirate!" advertising each time I have re-inserted the disc, I get really mad: "I bought the bloody DVD, alright?!"

And the people who pirate the DVD do not see any advertisements or "do not pirate" ads. So basically they are punishing the people who legally purchase the product, and also making them aware that they can pirate the product for free..

I remember seeing several days ago that one of the DRM companies was starting to sue other companies for not using their product.

Here's the article.

The product is so effective, according to Media Rights Technologies, that by not using it the vendors are enabling their products to violate the DMCA.

This is exactly how silly it is. google news search "Media Rights Technologies" to get lots of similar stories.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess this is the crap on dirty companies thread.

Capitol Records Ordered to Pay $61,576.60 in defense Attorney Fees

The Fosters fought back, however, and filed counterclaims for a declaratory judgment and prima facie tort. A declaratory judgment generally "forces the hand" of a suing party, while a prima facie tort accuses the suing party of "intentionally causing harm." The prima facie tort was dismissed by the court, but the declaratory counterclaim stuck. Ms. Foster's defense wanted the plaintiffs to provide the exact details of the alleged infringement, something Capitol Records ostensibly couldn't provide.

So Capitol records couldn't prove (and didn't bother trying) that the Fosters stole music? Astounding! They sue everyone without any proof they broke any laws.