Speaker beeping problem

I've noticed lately that my speaker makes beeping noise (not the pc type beep), kinda like when you put in the speaker thing into the computer. It is occurring more often now, every minute or so. Usually two beeps right after the other Getting annoying (actually it can be 4 beeps, space then 1 more). I suppose it could be a speaker problem, I'll try other speakers sometime. The beep occurs only in the right speaker (one without volume/power etc). The current speakers I use has a power button/volume/light on it (2 normal cheap speakers), and has a USB cord and audio cord go into the computer (I presume USB cord is to power the speakers). The beeps seem to happen more often when other sounds are occuring (mp3 music/game music).

Below is dxdiag of sound. If this is true would Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs be the proper driver (it only says software)? The driver date for this is this month, while the driver I have is last year. If this is true can someone host the XP driver and readme file on http://www.mytempdir.com/  since I cannot connect to FTP servers?

I have the realtek software disabled from starting when computer starts, but the software is still installed and in control panel.

I also heard that having speakers close to monitor can cause interference. Is this true? Currently my speakers are right next to lcd monitor (my lcd monitor makes whining/hum (high pitched) noises on startup until it gets warmed up, I presume this is a bad thing, it started happening a week or 2 ago, and if I pressed against the screen sides the sound would stop and come back when I released pressure).

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Realtek HD Audio output

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIOFUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_105BE619&REV_1000

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys

Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5286 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 8/14/2006 20:41:16, 4368896 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 31

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 31

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

Description: Modem #3 Line Playback (emulated)

Default Sound Playback: No

Default Voice Playback: No

Hardware ID:

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 81

Type: Emulated

Driver Name:

Driver Version:

Driver Attributes:

WHQL Logo'd:

Date and Size:

Other Files:

Driver Provider:

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0x0

Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

The speakers came with my computer back in Jan 2007.

Well, I'd just replace them with my old/previous computer speakers.

Probably time to purchase a non extreme cheap type (that come with default computer). Any recommendations?

Logitech 5.1 Surround Speaker System (X-540) $79.99 $50 off. Cheapest 5.1 sound system available to me. I don't want anything expensive, as I've used 2 speaker setup for past 10 years.

I know a friend bought some expensive computer speakers several years ago, he seems happy with them (they were like 75% off regular price). NVM, I'll read reviews.

If someone could upload those drivers, I would be grateful :) (hopefully they are correct ones).

EDIT:

Someone suggested my computer overheats and alarm is making DOS beeps to warn me of temperatures. Could this be possible? My computer is not well ventilated in the computer desk, but currently it is only 10 degrees celcius in my room so that offsets it for now.

*new* no alarm settings in BIOS to warn of hot computer. in BIOS says that CPU temp is ~55 celcius, system temp is 37 celcius. Fan speed 1260 RPM.

EDIT:

Testing older speakers now. Old speakers are not very loud, I have volume turned up all the way and I can barely hear audio. Restarted computer same thing. The highest volume I can get would be equivalent of the sound level I normally have set at (not very loud).

My computer has 6 spots for speaker to go in. not all for speakers though, some for input. See screenshot. No beeping so far on old speakers.

Will try my new speakers on old computer and see if still get beep sound. That should tell if it is a speaker problem. Still angry that my old speakers will not go very loud on new computer.

post-1194-12833239471704_thumb.jpg

post-1194-1283323947194_thumb.png

Drivers

As I mentioned before could someone download/upload the "Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)" and readme file to http://www.mytempdir.com/

That way I can rule out software problem. Readme could be uploaded to fed2k since it is so small.

I have speakers hooked up to old computer. Sound fine with no beeping. So must be something with my new computer.

Hooked speakers back up to new computer, they still beep. It is at the same level of sound irregardless of my volume in windows or on the speaker. It is getting more and more regular intervals.

Hmm, will try ubuntu sometime to see if hardware or software/OS.

Hmm, I moved the right speaker around and the loudness of noise changes along with intervals (although intervals are completely random so far).

Please upload the drivers :)

XP media center.

So download "Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)"

Or at least upload the readme so I know what the driver/software is and whether it could be any good to me.

I just realized in realtek settings that I had my speakers on wrong side the whole time. (speaker with power etc was on left side but according to test it is supposed to be on right side :P)

You have to provide a link to the download from that site once done uploading (it gives link once done uploading where to download from) :P

Thanks for the readme. According to the readme that is the driver I should get.

Weirdly I have not noticed the beeping noise since I switched the side that the speakers are on. Maybe a weird wiring problem? Oh well as long as it works.

EDIT:

Nah the beeping still occurs, just not as loud or frequent.

Andrew, still not had anything done about your ISP blocking certain parts of the net to you ? Having to rely on others to upload must be infuriating !

AS for the beeps, I dont think you mentioned whether the old quiet speakers made the beeping or not, you only seemed to say they were quiet.

If they didnt, and moving the newer ones made the sound better (less frequet, etc...) then perhaps you should open them up and check the wiring for loose connections. Shaking slightly might give an indication also.

Yep, the old speakers worked with no beeps, but they were not able to produce loud sounds/volume which makes them useless for this computer. And the new speakers on the old computer did not beep that I could tell.

Yep still shitty internet. But I installed Tor, and it is not as bad now, as I can still get torrents, but I have to do so discretely between midnight and 6AM to not get the ISP attention. Tor masks my internet connections (via proxy).

If my ISP complains I'll switch ISP (will cost $60 more a month, but the internet will be much better).

Someone still upload the drivers I linked before :)

Then I can rule out driver issues.

Also my system clock seems slower than normal. Currently it is between 2-3 minutes behind, and updating time from windows or the other place usually fails (error). It did update once, but has since fallen behind again.

I have contacts, my friend :)

Well, that and after it uploaded my file, it did a check (checksum check ?) and realised it was already up, and to save space and not duplicate it, deleted my beautiful 25 megs or whatever it is and gave me a link to his copy...bah !

Its the thought that counts though, right ?  8)

Yes the thought counts :)

It still beeps, but not as loud/regular. Must be wiring (better not be sound card!). Will try to get other speakers and see if anything wrong. If with other speakers no problem, will buy some speakers.

I am fixing a friends computer now, will try the new speakers on it. :)

Will report if I find a permanent solution or what I end up doing.

Thanks all.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I now figured out that the Torbutton Firefox extension can enable FTP connections, so now I can download through FTP.

I think my speaker problem is with wiring into back of speaker, since one day it was beeping lots, so I moved the wiring a bit and it got a lot louder for a couple seconds. Although moving the speaker wires around does not cause the speakers to beep any. wierd.

I almost bought new speakers, but I think I'll wait until they go on sale again.