winxp startup/shutdown image

I changed my desktop background image to a new image last week, but for some reason when windows is starting and almost finished loading it shows the old background image briefly. It also does this during shutdown (probably 2 seconds after clicking "shutdown" and when the current background disappears before the "saving settings/shutting down" screen).

Is there a reason it is showing the old image? How do I remove it?

For some reason I think I also see it when I alt/tab from full screen games briefly. Almost as if it is under the current background.

I looked for duplicate files of the old background but don't see any.

I know what you mean but I don't know the exact reason.

- did you "install" either one of the backgrounds (new or old) with a program? I mean like in ACDSee right click the image and click "set as background" (or whatever tha option is called). if you did so, this could be a reason.

- have you some kind of program running which displays those pictures or is it all set by the windows settings? (I ask because a friend of mine wondered why his background changes every few minutes. I then saw a small "addon" in one of his programs (it was a mailclient or something like that) which had an option to randomly set a background image, although the program itself had absolutely nothing to do with images.

- go to the display options in your control panel and delete/unset all available background images and just choose the new one again

- try removing/deleting the old picture and see if this still occurs

- go to the display options in your control panel and delete/unset all available background images and just choose the new one again

remove your desktop. Go to the file you want, then open it in MS picture viewer and use the option "set as background".

I know. . .know just try it and see if it works. :)

I removed (aka "no wallpaper") then applied the wallpaper I want.

I think it worked because when I went to the desktop to see the wallpaper the grey background (no background) option was briefly there.

I put both wallpapers up using the display properties->desktop

The wallpaper I use now is 1600*1200 but my resolution is 1280*960. The wallpaper doesn't come in smaller sizes so it stretches it option (shrinks I guess).

One is the normal default background and the other is what you would get in the old days on Active desktop (before all xp desktops became active desktops). Remember when you chose a jpg and win98 would say "to use this background you need to enable active desktop" ? that picture you actually used was the active desktop and the briefly seen one was the non-active desktop one.