Maher Arar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar

This is the person who the US deported to Syria to be tortured after returning from a family vacation.

Today Giuliano Zaccardelli, Canada's RCMP chief resigned after admitting he gave incorrect testimony on the Maher Arar affair to a Commons committee.

So the RCMP has apologized to Arar, and the person in charge has resigned. The Canadian government has filed an official protest to the US.

The US has done nothing. I havn't noticed anyone fired or resigned over sending people to get tortured. The US has become a police state, where civil liberties are gone. If you are a Muslim you are automatically suspect of being a terrorist. No wonder they think there is a war against Islam (cause there really is).

Here is a transcript by Maher Arar himself that describes exactly what happened when he was kidnapped and tortured.

I urge everyone to read that article, it only takes a couple minutes.

At the beginning--even though it was a filthy place, it was like a grave--I preferred to stay in that cell rather than being beaten.

He was flown in a private luxurious jet (just by himself and some INS people) to be tortured.

It also proves that torture doesn't work because the person being tortured will make up or agree to anything the torturers want.

I was ready after a couple of months, I was ready to sign any piece of document for me, not to be released, just to go to another place where it is fit for human being.

The sad part is Arar is still on the US no fly list even though he did absolutely nothing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maher_Arar

This is the person who the US deported to Syria to be tortured after returning from a family vacation.

Today Giuliano Zaccardelli, Canada's RCMP chief resigned after admitting he gave incorrect testimony on the Maher Arar affair to a Commons committee.

So the RCMP has apologized to Arar, and the person in charge has resigned. The Canadian government has filed an official protest to the US.

The US has done nothing. I havn't noticed anyone fired or resigned over sending people to get tortured. The US has become a police state, where civil liberties are gone. If you are a Muslim you are automatically suspect of being a terrorist. No wonder they think there is a war against Islam (cause there really is).

Here is a transcript by Maher Arar himself that describes exactly what happened when he was kidnapped and tortured.

I urge everyone to read that article, it only takes a couple minutes.He was flown in a private luxurious jet (just by himself and some INS people) to be tortured.

It also proves that torture doesn't work because the person being tortured will make up or agree to anything the torturers want.

The sad part is Arar is still on the US no fly list even though he did absolutely nothing wrong.

is not this an old story?

Oh definately. The guy speaks of other people who are being tortured, which causes him added distress. Presumably some of those will still be in the jails, still being tortured, some eqaully guilt free (regardless, no one should be tortured like that).

Ninja_Sher

Whether you are stating that the arah case is old or the article I pointed to is old is probably true. I just brought it up again because of news that the head of RCMP resigned.

There are other torture cases (inquiries) being looked into.