Format computer backup

I want to format my computer (I do so on a yearly basis to make it go faster and get rid of stuff I don't use).

Problem is, or was the last time I formatted was that I ended up burning around 10 cds to back up everything.

I currently have 9gb of music, and maybe another 2 gb of data. To put this all on cds would take around 15 cds. That's alot, but would only cost around $20 (buy a 50 pack of cd-r).

Are there any other good options?

I'm guessing a hard drive could fix it somehow, but don't want that. Don't have access to a dvd burner :(

My best guess would to link up through a router with another persons computer, send them all my files, format, and send files back (although it would kinda defeat the purpose of formatting, but I like my music).

Is there any other storage options I'm missing? Portable USB 10 gb things?

I've got so many cds full of data laying around since I got my first burner back in ~2000. Funny, I don't even access most of them anymore. More nostalgic than anything.

I just finished uninstalling a bunch of programs I don't use much, reinstalled firefox, and with no extensions, it still runs a bit slow (maybe), but still faster, odd, seems uninstalling stuff disabled my keyboard multimedia keys, even though the "fix" for it is installed.

I just want to format and start over :P Damn slow computer.

I mean why is there 5 different versions of MS .net framework installed?

msft2os.png

EDIT: Interestingly, visiting http://miranda-im.org/ and the forum actually freezes my mouse now in firefox, with no extensions.

I would seriously consider buying a DVD-writer. Saves you alot of physical storage space (you need less disks)

They are cheaper now than CD writers were in 2000.

I know there are other storage options out there, but they are not cheaper or they can't store that much data.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, and most computer come with them nowadays. (Bought my first 2x2x24 cd burner for like $400 back in the day)

While I'm trying to download a keyboard driver to get the buttons to work, my ISP blocks FTP connections (dumbasses).

So could someone download

HP Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Driver Update - sp26752 under the caution section? and host it at http://www.mytempdir.com/

I think the download should be under 50mb.

If not, let me know and I can get another way to do it http://www.yousendit.com/

Odd that windows update is not alerting me to it not being installed. Maybe it can't tell the difference.

EDIT - oh yah the dvd burners are cheap as I see at futureshop.ca, ~$100

How much data does average dvd hold?

I ahve a cd writer and a dvd rom currently installed. I should probably take out the dvd rom and replace with dvd burner (I assume dvd burner can play dvds)?

From what I know, there are several types of DVD burners out there (dual etc)

Which is best (for price)?

futureshop dvd burners

staples dvd burners

EDIT2: BenQ DW1655 Lightscribe DVD+RW16X16X8 DVD-RW16X16X4 CDRW48X48X32 OEM DVD Burner Black W/ SW for $46 until June 27, hmm

I can partition my hard drive into 2, when C:/ is 50% full data? I thought it needed to be formatted before I could partition? And if I do partition, I would probably have a partition to try linux, but would my windows installation partition be safe?

While I'm trying to download a keyboard driver to get the buttons to work, my ISP blocks FTP connections (dumbasses).

So could someone download

HP Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Driver Update - sp26752 under the caution section? and host it at http://www.mytempdir.com/

I think the download should be under 50mb.

If not, let me know and I can get another way to do it http://www.yousendit.com/

Could someone please do that?

ok, ill do it now, buddy :P.

As for patitioning, it will require a roboot but not a complete reformat. That is with Partition Magic. Now, there are probably some freeware or shareware verisons about that will do similar. But it is best to get your hands on a partition proggy, as you can always tweak them after they have been installed.

EDIT:

Here you go. I think it was only about <4 Megs.

http://www.mytempdir.com/762114

Thanks! I was going crazy not being able to press keyboard shortcuts for webpages.

Gparted article to resize ntfs

GParted

Looks like the best free partitioner.

I Have a 80gb hard drive, about 7 is for the windows installation backup (supposedly on its own partition yet windows doesn't list it). So I would create a partition from the rest of the 74 gb or so, say 20 gb. Once it is made, I should be able to boot into windows, and it should list both partitions (drive E or something, the new 20 gb should be empty). I could move all my files to it, then format the 60 gb partition and install windows on it. Move all my files back to 60gb part (if I want), and could install linux on the 20gb?

Awesome. I'm backing up critical information to be safe. If my movies/music accidentally gets deleted I'm not as worried as other information.

Hopefully do it all today. Sick of my computer being slow. Just deleted 2 gb of junk I don't use often, converted some .bmp images to .jpg to save space.

Format is needed :)

Will report on any issues. (I assume when I format and install winXP it will ask me which partition to install to)

EDIT:

Partition hard drive, created a ~20GB partition. Windows noticed it. Labelled E: drive (which was my portable usb thumbdrive letter, now it's G:) Sweet!

Now to move everything to it and format computer!

Yes, windows will ask, be careful to confirm which is which by going on all the info you can, such as disk size (C: will be like 60GB and E: will be 20GB, so you can use that if they are not labeled).

I just downloaded GParted as I was after a proggy to create partitions and copy partitions for work. Cheapos that they are  ;).

I thought GParted worked very well. The live CDs make it very easy to use (since I don't have linux to run it :P).

Took maybe 10 minutes to partition my harddrive. To create a new partition from the unused space took about 5 seconds (I wasn't sure if it worked it happened so fast).

Time to format my computer! :D

Hmm, at some point after I get computer running I should add GParted to software list thread.

So far everything went well. Only scary part is when I told HP to do system recovery, and it rebooted computer and formatted C: without asking me which partition, thankfully it only did c:/ and not the new partition. Funny it didn't ask me which partition.

Only thing so far I forgot to back up was firefox bookmarks, has 100 or so bookmarks over a couple of years saved up. At least it is minimal now. Sadly, I actually exported firefox bookmarks but forgot to burn it to the one CD I burned with critical information, and also didn't put it on my 256 mb portable thumbdrive (could have backed it up but havn't found it yet).

Once I formatted HD and removed all the junk that comes preinstalled, my programs list looked like:

installed6gx.th.png

which is sweet. Now the fun part of installing good software.

Lots of Windows updates after I formated, like 20 at first, then win SP2, then 46 other windows updates, then 10 optional updates. Took a couple hours to update that.

Can't wait to move files from my d:/ drive which is the new partition, then install linux.

Excellent, visiting miranda website/forums does not freeze mouse when it is loading.

Well I've had lots to drink at the Event in the Tent concert, so I should go to sleep for a while.

EDIT: Forgot google earth locations.

Well, ubuntu is installed and working fine after a couple hiccups.

When my computer boots I hsve a choice of OS (default is ubuntu, which I can live with, as long as I select windows in 9 seconds).

Funny thing, is when the screen first came up and I wanted to choose windows, there are two there. One is windows XP/nt/2003 (or something wierd like that) and the other is windows personal whistler. I picked Windows XP and it turned out to be my 4gb windows backup. I thoguth that was fine, I'd just cancel the format when the screen came up. But when it was done with window sloading screen, I got a fatal error saying it couldnt read the hard drive and my hard drive shut down (no fan sound or HD activity). I had to press power button (just press once, not hold in to restart like normal when windows or whatever freezes). So maybe I messed that up. The other windows partition (windows installed with my programs and mp3/movies) works fine.

I can play mp3/movies from my windows partition and such inside ubuntu which is awesome!

Ubuntu comes with a network tools which allowed me to scan my ISP for port scna. Only open port is port 80. yah :(. Odd how in windows I think jabber uses port 443.

Some good impressions with ubuntu, but would still need a windows installation (dual boot is fine) for proprietary business software. Seems to run normal, although if I found it slow I could always install xubuntu which is supposed to be faster than gnome/kde.

Linux tech support online is good, at the ubuntu forums, got some quick responses to my problems.

200mb of

Heh, I think my 1.5gb of linux swap was a bit too big. Only 13 mb being used ATM. Guess I shoudl have researched that a bit more before making that parition. (possible to resize it and add extra space to linux partition without destorying the data/installations?)

I can play mp3/movies from my windows partition and such inside ubuntu which is awesome!

Ubuntu comes with a network tools which allowed me to scan my ISP for port scna. Only open port is port 80. yah :(. Odd how in windows I think jabber uses port 443.

443 is mostly in use for HTTPS website connections. Although not the official SSL port it is used as such. IF jabber uses it it whould be highly inprofessional and stupid.

On booting from your HP backup partition. Isn't that just a recovery partition which holds the data to reinstall your software . . you schouldn't be able to really boot from it.

You can use FDISK in linux to change partition. (/etc/sbin/fdisk /dev/hda or something like that :P )

443 is mostly in use for HTTPS website connections. Although not the official SSL port it is used as such. IF jabber uses it it whould be highly inprofessional and stupid.

It is not the official or normal way that jabber connects (it usually uses 5223 or 5222 when use SSL is enabled, I got it disabled).

I use port 443 as the others don't work because of my Nazi ISP.

On booting from your HP backup partition. Isn't that just a recovery partition which holds the data to reinstall your software . . you schouldn't be able to really boot from it.

Well, in windows I go to programs from start menu, select hp tools folder, then HP pc system recovery. When I click on that it asks if I am sure I want to proceed, I click yes and then my computer reboots to this partition and asks if I am sure I want to format/install fresh windows (which is normal).

What's not normal is that I selected it to boot from grub(?) bootup to select which OS to boot to, I selected the first windows option available when I first saw this screen came up, and it turned out to be the windows recovery partition (and the error you can read in my above post).

Now I know to select the second windows OS option, which is my normal windows instalation.

You can use FDISK in linux to change partition. (/etc/sbin/fdisk /dev/hda or something like that :P )

I think GParted might be safer for me than using commands to format :P

The HP option I know is a seperate partition holding the recovery data. You can boot right into it or use the option in Windows you mentioned. If you install Linux it could detect the recovery partition and put it in your boot options. That way it becomes bootable from the Linux bootloader.

The recovery partition is there because they are bound by law to give you the option to restore your OS. Either with a CD or a recovery partition. Dell uses it to. :)

(it's basically a Windows CD on your HD)

You know when I started with Linux fdisk was the only option. Then it became the "expert" option during install. Now you need to look for it as it's gone :P I guess you'r right. fdisk can do to much damage if you don't know it. :)

• 6 months later...

OK, so I have partitions:

Windows partition: 50gb

HP windows backup format/install partition: 2gb (I never touch it unless formatting)

Linux OS: 30gb

Linux swap: 500mb (no idea why I made it so big)

So I want to get rid of the linux OS and swap. Do I just run gparted and format the linux+swap, delete those partitions and add the newly free space to the windows partition? (downloading the documentation now)

I screwed up ubuntu when I put new video card in and went back, now too lazy to install a fresh copy or do commands. I might eventually put linux back on again, but I won't be making it 30gb since it doesn't need near that amount of space (windows is good enough for media).

I have a problem.

I got rid of linux swap partition which gave me free space, but I can not increase the size of my ntfs partition. I've tried everything, even getting rid of the boot flag for the ntfs but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to want to be able to increase the partition size. I can decrease the size but I don't want to do that.

Luckily I reduced the linux partition to 5gb (it was 20, but only needing 4) and it runs without linux swap parition (which was 1.5 gb  ::) )

So what I did was create a new ntfs partition which is around 20gb or so. Windows recognizes this partition and I can put files/whatever on it. So I have the space back, but it is on its own partition since I couldn't increase original ntfs partition. Which is wierd.