Fremen and Houses

Guest Ace Ordos

Guest Ace Ordos

Well, I think that either way, the Atreides should have fremen warriors, but only the most basic. It might be cool if there was a fremen house, that had worm-riders, and fedakyn, and other fremen type units.... but, the spice production thing just would not exist! i mean, fremen don't mine the spice, and they shouldn't be all hyped up about the god damned tera-forming, the reason dune is dune, is because of the worms right? ("the spice is the worm, the worm is the spice")

and moisture kills the worms!!

pointless, but im hullicinating now so, go away

Fremen mined spice in the first Dune game. It's also different when you need money to fuel the war machine. They would be fighting to protect their homeworld. And yes, the Fremen had an intrest in terraforming Arrakis, that's why they were collecting all of the water. Keep reading the books or watch the movie and pay attention.

Fremen harvested lots of spice, that was the way they bribed the Guild, so that satalites would not be placed in orbit of Arrakis, so that no one could see that the Fremen were slowly terraforming Dune.

Mahdi's right: the fremen were terraforming Dune with the help of the planetologist Kynes (Chani's father). They bribed the Guild so that the south of Dune wasn't explored. They also had another secret: the fact that they could ride worms. Like I said before, a fremen house would be cool, BUT only as long as they're NOT the allies of the atreides. The atreides might have some simple fremen warriors, but those are traitors. The rest of the fremen have to hate them and fight against them. They could form a separate side and fight against all the houses to protect their home and their secrets. They could have sietches, fedaykin, worm-riders, fremen reverend mothers, advanced sand warriors and more.

Btw, Ace, please e-mail me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a reason the Fremen allied with House Atreides in the books: the Atreides were honorable, just, intelligent, strong and were ideologically similar to the Fremen. There never was a great Fremen body, it was always individual and sovreign tribes. They had councils, talks, even wars between eachother, and each tribe could take care of their own and make their own decisions. Before the Baron's attack in the books, the Fremen were already thinking of allying with the Atreides. Therefore I doubt very much they would be enemies of the Atreides, nor would they be considered "traitors", those who did, and I doubt it would be isolated Fremen, but instead it would be on tribe level, each tribe deciding whether or not to ally with the House Atreides. The Fremen harvested spice to pay the ever increasing Guild bribes to keep satellites away from their territory and from their slow terraforming of Dune. They were terraforming because of Kynes, the imperial planetologist, who figured out the cycle on Dune and new there was a way to make it into a paradise world.

- Jason.

You are of course right, Mahdi, but I was thinking more like before Kynes, and though they were united in their cause and did not war on eachother, they were still seperated by their own tribal lines, which is why Stilgar talks about that stuff in the original book... about the different sietches and even a council of the naibs from all the other tribes. Thats all I was talking about.

- Jason. :)