SATA & IDE together ?

yes you can run both in the same system if you have controllers for both. you can't run them as master and slave though.

I had both types in one system once, but I also had some problems in the beginning as the system always wanted to boot from the wrong hdd though the boot path was correct in bios. I switched all boot orders and paths in the bios randomly as it was never working with the right settings. it worked out then after a while and did boot from the right hdd but the boot order and paths were absolutely illogical and it should have never worked with these settings, but it did. and it didn't with the correct ones. I never figured out why, because the system was running fine without any problems. I sold it then and just kept the s-ata drive.

You run your ide's as master slave...

Sata disks are just a master.

so if you have 2 sata controllers and 2 ide controllers on your mobo. The 2 ide controllers will work as

primary master, primary slave and secondary master, secondary slave.

Your sata disks will be third master and fourth master. There are no slaves on the sata controllers.

If you want to boot from a sata controlled disk, you need to load the drivers for the sata controllers in the setup (pressing F6 in the setup sequence when promted) then your sata disk will become also your boot disk. If you run ide disks next to it, it should not be a problem.