Creating an autorun.exe for your custom CDs...

Well, an autorun file on a CD or harddrive basically does this :

[autorun]

open = setup.exe

You can specify an icon to use and some other neat stuff. But the main thin it does is just that, a link to a file to run. Note that the file needs to be called autorun.inf.

So about what program can you use. . .just use notepad to create the autorun file. Most important question, what do you want the autorun on your backup CD's to do ?

Would there happen to be a program to make this easier for those of us not too good at coding? It would really help for my Back-up for Superpower 2. *Sobs at his warped Original, Shakes fist at the Radiator*

What coding ? All you need to do is create a file called autorun.inf and minimally put [autorun]

open = what file you like to start in it.

It's not rocket science, and if you are not capable of creating such a simple file I think you shouldn't be allowed to do any other thing on the computer anyway....

What coding ? All you need to do is create a file called autorun.inf and minimally put [autorun]

open = what file you like to start in it.

It's not rocket science, and if you are not capable of creating such a simple file I think you shouldn't be allowed to do any other thing on the computer anyway....

Such sarcasm is not only rude; it's also annoying and unnecessary.

And yes, I can create such a file.

my appologies for the sarcasm.

I just don't see why you ask for a program to create such a file for you as you are not good in coding. While coding has got nothing to do with it and when you are perfectly able to create the file yourself ?

My bad if I fail to undestand the question at hand compleately. As I see it Procyon request a way to create an autorun for a CD. You don't need any program to do so nor any real knowledge besides the fact that the autorun function of Windows just looks for a autorun.inf file on datadisks ( cdroms, HD's, etc ). It does whatever stands in that file. Like Run = index.html and you get a webbrowser with the index.html file on the CD.

If you ask for a program to do the coding. . I just fail to see what you want to code in the above example.

Mayby someone wrote a program to write stuff like that to a config file. By asking questions like which icon do you want to display ?, what should be run on insert ? and stuff like that and with a just click your mouse menu then creates a autorun.inf file (and corresponding files) for you to copy to the CD or harddrive. Then I think it should be better you just learn how to create such a simple file then you first download and install that program, run it and create the file.

Using computers is not hard nor does require the knowledge of coding. It becomes hard when you use simple programs like that to create just one file and alienate yourself from such simple actions.

Again, my apologies for being sarcastic. But then don't ask for the obvious things or for a program to create a simple file for you. At that time you are wasting both your and my time I think.

What I was looking for, was a program that could add and finalize such a file as it finished the actual disk. I have heard of such attachments for programs like Nero. And if I could save time by adding the file to the project as it is compiled by the damn program, I would not be "alienating myself", I'd be increasing efficiency.  Which frankly, I see no problem in.

What I was looking for, was a program that could add and finalize such a file as it finished the actual disk. I have heard of such attachments for programs like Nero. And if I could save time by adding the file to the project as it is compiled by the damn program

You know, with those words it should take you about 40 seconds to find what you are looking for.

First link you get is from Nero.

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/en/FAQs_Data_CD.html#4

Second is the program.

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/autorun/

I would not be "alienating myself", I'd be increasing efficiency.

You know, with those words it should take you about 40 seconds to find what you are looking for.

First link you get is from Nero.

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/en/FAQs_Data_CD.html#4

Second is the program.

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/autorun/

Well, if you are using tools just to creat a "8 line" file because it's to much code for you. . .

I already knew that you could find the programs. I was looking for one already used by a forum member and therefor already tried and true.

Once again I must say, I wonder why it is that you must be so sarcastic and nasty. Do you really have nothing better to do as a staff-member than to go around, insulting people simply looking for help?

I wonder......

So, your first post is a question for a program you already know you can find ?

If you or Procyon (anyone else for that matter :) ) have any more questions about how to create an autorun.inf file or about the possible options you can use in them I think this topic is a good place.

About our discussion (Basbarossa and myself) I think we can consider it closed now.

Well I have thought about using autorun, but then I have no program to run. Poerhaps I can make autorun point to Explorer with the path of the CD as the argument, thereby getting the result you would with autorun on XP. Mind you, I was thinking this when I had Win98, a while ago.

Like a macromedia menu system ? Load, browse CD, uninstall, Install...etc... ? So thats the actuall EXE ?

As far as I know, they are just exes, just like any other. Make em in whatever, Basic, c or whatever you use normally, if anything, or maybe macromedia, if you want.

So, your first post is a question for a program you already know you can find ?

If you or Procyon (anyone else for that matter :) ) have any more questions about how to create an autorun.inf file or about the possible options you can use in them I think this topic is a good place.

About our discussion (Basbarossa and myself) I think we can consider it closed now.

*Smacks forehead* I was looking for a pogram that carried a "seal of approval" from a Fed2k member.  ::)

Yes, we can considr that discussion "closed".

Well I have thought about using autorun, but then I have no program to run. Poerhaps I can make autorun point to Explorer with the path of the CD as the argument, thereby getting the result you would with autorun on XP.

Yep, that whould work.

I already know that thing of the autorun.inf, but I'm asking for a program that creates an autorun.EXE, like those that the games CDs have.

Like erjin mentioned, an autorun.exe is an EXE file. Depending on the programming language the creater of it used you make the file. With BASIC, QBASIX, Delphi, Visual basic. You can even just make a HTML based menu / page and get that to load. It's not specifically a programm that creates "autorun" applications or something. It's a custom application that will be run when the CD is inserted. For creating such an application I think you will need to code it yourself.

Easy easy way. Get word, make a menu system (you can use hyperlinks) and save as webpage. then have autorun call that webpage you made with word. If that works, you will have an easy to make simple (crape ? :P) menu system.

That is if autorun doesnt open your webpage in notepad....which it shouldnt I guess...