Uninstalling Kazaa

Recently, I've deleted Kazaa, but I want to complete remove it all all the dll files and what-not associated with it, because I realise Kazaa is trying to screw my system up. I'm running AVG and ad-aware to get rid of the bulk. Now how can I handle the remaining pieces of this blasted software?

This is what I have done:

1.) Add/Remove programs --> uninstall kazaa

2.) Uninstall TopSearch (a gay toolbar. I hate toolbars, and this came with kazaa)

3.) Ran a scan with Ad-Aware. Was shocked at the results. Ad-Aware couldn't remove 2 files but would do so when I rebooted.

4.) Rebooted, Ad-Aware came up but didn't say anything.

5.) Scanned the computer using Ad-Aware again.

6.) Ran a virus scan using updated AVG. Found 2 virii, one being a P2P setup file and another being a need2find bar dll file. AVG deleted those files successfully (it was called healing, but they were deleted actually ;))

7.) Ran a second scan. No viruses found. Cleared my virus vault.

I found a site that taught me how to completely remove topsearch, but couldn't do the regedit part. I couldn't find the dll file either (though I searched for it after AVG found it, and AVG is likely to delete it immediately upon detection, so yeah..). The site is http://www.uninstall-i-lookup.com/removetopsearch.html

I've found Adaware to be limiting in its searching capabilities for some time now. You should try Microsoft Anti-Spyware

It should find alot more.

Another great program is RegCleaner

It seems that it no longer has a homepage, but the program helps you find and delete entries in your registry.

Install it, and use the search function (or browse through the lists) to find any entries named "Kazaa" the company's name, or a name of any other extra that was installed with Kazaa

I recommend you to see the startup list, and check there if there are entries there you recognize as not being welcome there.

I don't know how to find those dll files, so I can't help you with those.

Wouldn't know that...?

All I know is that after you have installed it, you can run the regcleanr.exe file. It takes a few seconds to load, but then you have an overview of all kinds of installed stuff, divided over multiple tabs.

But it shows nothing when you run the exe file?

Well after you get rid of Kazaa, I would get a Bit-torrent program if your using alot of peer to peer for dloads. It's night and day in comparison...one is a virus pool(Kazaa) and one is very reliable and way safer in terms of virus's, spyware. Theres no spyware attached with using programs like bittornado,or bitlord. Free and legal also. Jeez, Kazaa is like trolling for virus/spyware with a great chance of catching a bunch.  ;)

All I will say about BitTorrent is that it surely is no P2P crap.

Anyway, I assume that you now have been able to remove entries you no longer want in your registry?

And are things with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, been succesful?

I don't know anything about ActiveX stuff, but I figured it could possibly be harmful, or be some loophole which hackers can get through... so I refused to go through the Windows authorisation thing (fret not, I AM using authentic Windows, which is a disgrace but yeah..)

Can you uninstall ActiveX stuff after installing it and using it?

you are refering to the "windows Authorisation" you get when dowloading certain programms from MS ?

Don't worry about ActiveX and the Microsoft site, if any one is going to exploid your computer they won't do it from the microsoft.com site. Usually you can choose to use or not to use the Authentication option first.

Finally, Microsoft already has all the info they want from you when you install DirectX or any SP. . so don't worry :P