overclocked!!!!

spicy

hi. please tell me somthing.  haw do i know if the cpu i bought is  overclocked or not,

i mean i got it prebuild  at the hardware company it sayes i have a 3ghz E  p4  priscot on my

system info.... olso  i used a p4 id utilty and it told me the same!!!

Unless you got it at a yard sale somewhere I doubt the CPU is overclocked at all.  Maybe just the FSB is bumped up some via the mainboard jumber, Bios or even some programs for doing that, as far as the CPU goes, no PC shop/retailer is gonner touch or alter the CPU for the simple reason it totally ruins any kind of warranty for it. There are other ways of getting  more CPU/FSB/memory power and make it seem as if the CPU is overclocked is all Im saying.  ;)

Also, WCPUID http://www.majorgeeks.com/WCPUID_d435.html

is a great little program  that displays the CPU information of your personal computer. It shows Frequency, Multiplier, Chipset Info, etc.

right down to the date it was made, brand, model# etc.

If it is running at stock speed (the speed it is rated to run at normally) then its not overclocked.

Other than taking off the cooling fan and inspecting it, theres nothing to check really except doing some bios changes to test what it can do normally. I mean I know what to check for in bios settings but I don't think you want to mess around with that if you don't understand what to look for and change settings to find out. If it is running just a tad bit faster than what it says, it is probably that they have set it up optimally or aggresive to get the highest/best speed out of the mainboard/CPU/memory combo in bios is all.

Other than taking off the cooling fan and inspecting it, theres nothing to check really except doing some bios changes to test what it can do normally.

If your CPU is overclocked looking at it won't give you much info . . .

You can look at possible jumpers on your motherboard whihc are used to change the voltage, bus speeds and such, and do the same in your BIOS. Or look at the values you get from a CPU ID programm and see it they fit the model you have.

Yours doesn't look overclocked to me btw. :)

If it is running at stock speed (the speed it is rated to run at normally) then its not overclocked.

and haw do i know what is the stock speed i bought the pc fully assembeld plus i dont know a thing

about looking into the stomic of my hardware am totaly nob ay that stuff.

do u mean there is no way to know from the information i gave you above, we can only guess??

i mean looking at the cpu is the onlyway to know if its overcloacked or no??

hey some guy at pc Mechanic forum told me this: to look in my system info which is:

pentuim® 4 cpu 3.00GHz

3.01 GHz,512 mb of ram

and he said this:

That's a 3.0GHz P4, not an overclocked slower one. The first line shows the CPU ID, and the second line shows the actual speed.

he got this pc:

Intel

Pentium 4 2.66GHz

2.81GHz, 2.0GB RAM

and he say  this:

As you can see, I have mine overclocked.

The second line is what the processor is, and stock speed

The thrid line is what speed it's running at. Check those two numbers.

i mean looking at the cpu is the onlyway to know if its overcloacked or no??

No, what I meant by that is, I can look and inspect an Athlon  for example or whatever for signs of alterations to it done by overclocking a certain way, such as the connected bridges on the CPU, or connected pins underneath it. But i'm quite sure yours was done using other ways (FSB, mboard jumpers, bios etc.) By increasing the FSB for example (Front Side Bus) all of the onboard components are overclocked. This includes CPU, RAM, AGP, PCI and IDE.

no one sells overclocked cpus, except:

- private sellers (ebay)

- criminals (stolen cpus / relabeled cpus...)

- some hardware shops, which then make clear in their description that it's an overclocked cpu, or ulv cpu ... but they tell you so in the description. they don't do this because they have to, but because the prices for pretested cpus that are guaranteed to run up to speed X mhz on mainboard/hardware Y are more expensive.

But i'm quite sure yours was done using other ways (FSB, mboard jumpers, bios etc.) By increasing the FSB for example (Front Side Bus) all of the onboard components are overclocked. This includes CPU, RAM, AGP, PCI and IDE.

ou are sure my system is overcloacked?? what gave you the impreation!!!!!!

no it's not spicy

if it was it would look different

your fsb is 1 point to high but this is probably due to your mainboard. there are some mainboards which set a higher fsb (0,5-1,5 points by default). some asus boards do so e.g.

this is what an overclocked system could look like (it's my old which I sold a while ago after using it for some time):

AMD Athlon64 Winchester 3500+

default: 1,4 vcore // 11x200 = 2200MHz

overclock: 1,5 vcore // 11x230 = 2530MHz - stable: superpi 32m / prime95 / 3dmark05

OCZ EL Platinum Rev2 PC3200/400 Dual Channel (2x512MB)

default: 2,75 vdimm // 200MHz @ 2-2-2-5

overclock: 2,9 vdimm // 230MHz @ 2-3-3-5 1T - stable: superpi 32m / prime95 /3dmark & memtest86+ (30 passes tested)

XFX GeForce 6800GT

default: GPU 350MHz // RAM 500MHz (1000MHz)

overclock: GPU 440MHz // RAM 550MHz (1100MHz) - stable: 3dmark01 / 3dmark03 / 3dmark05

mod: installed arctic cooling silencer nv5 rev2 for better cooling

note: this wasn't extreme overclocking but just as far as I wanted to go to still have a stable system.

no one sells overclocked cpus, except:

- private sellers (ebay)

- criminals (stolen cpus / relabeled cpus...)

- some hardware shops, which then make clear in their description that it's an overclocked cpu, or ulv cpu ... but they tell you so in the description. they don't do this because they have to, but because the prices for pretested cpus that are guaranteed to run up to speed X mhz on mainboard/hardware Y are more expensive.

Right, Overclocked CPU's alone are mostly just a hobby type of thing, in your case it's just tweaking the settings a little which is normal. But, of all the systems i've built and sold, if they ever bring it back to me due to it not booting,or working at all one of the first things I will inspect is if they tried to alter(overclock) the CPU..if so, sorry warranty is void then. Then again you would be a fool to try and bring back one of those anyway.  ;)