game.exe crash on join

eid

yea  as most of you know by now i have a very strange problem with emperor-

if i use a video driver that is newer than 61.76 the game crashes when i try to join a dm game (coop is fine,so is hosting)

also if i alt-tab/switch progs before i join with 61.76 it will also crash upon joining

the strange thing is this has never happened before on my system even with newer drivers  ..emperor just decided one day that newer drivers are poisonous and now hates them intensely  ^_-

i've tried a fdisc reinstall default ide/agp drivers and no service packs or any other programs installed,,same problem

its as if the game has programmed the bios on the video card to be tempermental :P

anyway my specs are old and slow but it may help others having the same prob if using similar hardware

oh and as for the 'driver' i was referring to ..its the Nvidia forceware driver :}

and the crash always refers to '0018beca' in the error report   

Amd Athlon 3000+xp

Asus a7v8x-x

Creative Audigy

leadtek a350xt 128m  (geforcefx5900xt)

1024mb ram  -333 

winxp -sp2

actually i was wondering if Ra1024 or olaf at xwis had changed something to trigger this..because i've never had this problem previously 

anyway anyone who has this crash on join problem with nvidia cards and similar hardware..maybe go back to 61.76 forceware or earlier to fix it  :)

yea i know the the driver is part of the problem, going higher than 61.76 seems to be what makes it crash

i posted this so that anyone with similar hardware and driver specs might use this, if they have the same problem :]

so yes i use 61.76 for emperor and it works fine as long as i dont alt-tab before joining

as far as what server...well i dont know about WOL but lan works fine no matter what  ,but both xwis and Ra's servers

seem to have problems..

edit:

this  thread was mainly intended for people with similar specs,who may have recently upgraded something and now emperor crashes when they try to join ,there must be more than 1 person whos suffered from this ,thats why i posted the (temporary?) solution :)

• 1 month later...

well first of all hi eido. i think we did talk about this you and me, u even scared the hell out of me  and made me stop downloading the new driver for my geforce. so am still using 61.76. i didnt even try the new driver.

i have game exe all the time it even made my pc restart 1 time. somtimes i have it while going

into a game like u.

what i want to ask about is this game exe file. why its so bad??? i mean the file is so small

only few bytes. can anyone analize it??  cant we replace that file with a patch or somthing like the nocd exe file. it would be the no crach exe file.if it can be done i think it would take somone

like  appolyon  15 min to do it, thank u

yea i know the the driver is part of the problem, going higher than 61.76 seems to be what makes it crash

i posted this so that anyone with similar hardware and driver specs might use this, if they have the same problem :]

so yes i use 61.76 for emperor and it works fine as long as i dont alt-tab before joining

as far as what server...well i dont know about WOL but lan works fine no matter what  ,but both xwis and Ra's servers

seem to have problems..

edit:

this  thread was mainly intended for people with similar specs,who may have recently upgraded something and now emperor crashes when they try to join ,there must be more than 1 person whos suffered from this ,thats why i posted the (temporary?) solution :)

I've posted about driver probs before, I have about the same specs and have tried other newer drivers with some bad results such as that, if it's the driver that you think is doing it then try this...http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=26  driver I know works fine with emp i've used it for several years now.  I know many others work fine also, just saying I've had best luck with this one is all.  (Vidia Omega Driver 1.5303)