Online Cheaters, or Mega-Strategists?

montego

You know, I've been playing Dune 2000 since it came out, coming to this website for about a year, and playing Dune 2000 online for about a year also... I remember using the trainer with the original release, to find out strategies quickly ... lol ... Which brings me to my topic...

Dune 2000 is tailor-made for clans, groups, Gamers who all "cover each others ass", or will "have your back", as it were... Many of which include brilliant programmers - Now understand that this is Arrakis ... Dune ... Notthing comes for free in this place, even playing the game... Any advantage is taken advantage of, and rubes , new to this arena, are eaten like candy by a hungry child...

Hacking is nothing new here, after all, an advantage is just that, and the attitude that "cheatin' ain't cheatin', unless you get caught" that seems to purvey amongst gamers (Yeah, there wasn't much difference when we were programming on C=64's & 128's back in the eighties) ...

Now, when it comes to Dune 2000 online, I really like it, But tell me gang - how many of you have played online and after 20 minutes into the game, one opponent has 4 - 7 new bases, upwards of 100 vehicles, etc, etc, etc..?

There are going to be some people who are going to spew BS about building MCV's, increasing build speed, etc, but frankly I know all of that, but, having a rudimentry knowledge of time, physics, and mathematics dictates that many times it's simply not mathematically possible to build that many units in that amount of time.

This, simply put, Is why I don't play much on WW online much anymore. It's really no fun when 1/3 of the people circle the sands like vultures, waiting for that rube... And the sad thing is that for a few precious WWO ratings points, the poor rube gets tired very quickly of being handed his ass on a platter.

Another potential hardcore Dune 2000 online gamer gone.

Long live the clans.

Montego, I haven't been playing Dune as long as you (I've been laying since august) but I have never encountered someone using trainers in Alman. It has probably happened, but I ahve never seen it nor heard of anyone complaining about it, and that means that no one in any clan has seen it. If they had, every clan would know about it. I have been a leader of a clan since december, and some are vindictive, emperialistic, rotton groups of people who will do almost anything to win, espacially against another clan, but if they win by cheating, the losing clan is going to scream bloody murder. Just look at the inter-clan tourney right now, and no one is cheating in it. The people who do cheat, would cheat whether they are in a clan or not. Clans are not responsible for trainers or d/cing or lagging. That is the person himself. I have never used a trainer, i think they are stupid. I have never d/ced (on purpose) or lagged (on purpose) and if I play a turney where I d/ced I play the person again and surrender once we get in so they get the win. Just because someone is in a clan does not mean they cheat. Most clans boot people for cheating.

i've NEVER seen anybody use a trainer in Alman, nor have multiple bases before 15 minutes are up. I do agree there are some people out there who will do ANYTHING to win, but most of them find that they are very unwelcomed in the lobby when they join. I should know. Some guy started a rumor about me in Alman. Took me a good week (and the support of several online friends) to quell the stir he caused.

Well, all comments on this are welcome, and I do realize that most players are honest... It just seems odd to me at best, and scandalous at worst...

I re-read my post I made last night, and I realize that this may be offensive to some, but that is not my intent at all. This is simply a subject (albeit somewhat sensitive) that I have wanted to address for a while...

Haven't any of you experienced anything online playing Dune 2000 that seemed mathematecally impossible..?

an odd thing occured while playing over the phone directly with my freind Ophidian, as the game began, the computer swarmned us witha rush of engineers. This was less than a minute into the game! I am talking about 20+ engineers runnig at me while I am trying to lay pavement, he reported the same on his end. Needless to say, we both lost and were quite confused! Not quite the same, but do any of you know of this happening?

Hey Captain Montego, I must admit i have experienced things on westwood games thats not just dune that are mathematically impossible to do so i agree there are hackers and things among us in the westwood community and i actually reckon that some of the people that hack the games are the ones that are the supposed legends of the games and the ones that always seem to top the tables. I think alot of those people are actually hackers but i am not going to point out any single person but REMEMBER YOU LITTLE GAME HACKERS YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! SO WATCH YOUR BACKS BOYS/GIRLS CAUSE I'LL GET YOU! LOL joke muwhahahahahahahaha

yeah well you're right hackers don't like to be hacked themselves but get there thrills out of hacking others i say this to all you hacker wannabes out there get a friggen girlfriend instead of having to sit at home with yourselfs playing with another computers Network ports

You do know that the trainers I have on the site don't work online? The only way people could be cheating online is if they created there own trainer and I haven't seen or heard anything about people doing that. Sure when the game first came out people cheated because the trainers worked then, but they don't anymore...

I think the odds are much greater that the method used is a memory hack - I have noticed that often times a few minutes into these games, there will be a lag... I think the two may be related, since the memory hack would require using the ctrl-tab function, breaking out of Dune 2000 quickly, edit the memory, then return to the game - I think this is prolly why the sync screws up sometimes as well...

Guest Tomukas

Yeah you can have 100 + vehicles tanks & men in 20 minutes even high tech. It all depends on the speed of the game first thing. In a laggy & slow game you cannot accomplish that. 4-7 bases? Construction yards yeah. Bases like on a new spot... You can have that too but not on some xl maps some xl maps dont have that much spaces/spots. I think its possible but the person might be cheating. It depends on a lot of things. Engineers, turrets, number of refineries, rules, harvesters, contruction yards, etc.

ok, i gotta correct myself

You know how u can play 6 to 200000000+ player games online now, cuz people have hacked the game?

Well, i just tried a 5 way with Shaggybel. pretty interesting. For starters, he game each team an ADDITIONAL 9 infantry men (why he did that, i have no clue)

He then proceeded to make ONLY his tanks cost $1 to build. I left cause it was a litle too slow and my bedtime is approaching.

So, yes, there are some mega-cheaters out there, but there are also some incredible strategists i've played against--such as KINGOFDLA. he's pretty good--taught me some stuff.

these hackers do it for fun, but u gotta be carefull nowadays, especially if u want a clean, honest game. Check the host and other people in the game to make sure they haven't hacked it. And if the game is hacked repeatedly by the same person, inform ww. AFter a while, it isn't fun anymore.

I would love to see these things posted (additional players in multiplayer, cheats, memory hacks, etc) ... I have been snooping around, and if I find anything, I have every intention of posting it, so the cheaters can be given some of their own medicine.

Power to the people...

Guest Tomukas

Some might cheat... Well i dont think that one person should have advantage over the other in a game like that $1 tank? lol ... Maybe instant build would be fun. But each player should have it fair not one being able 2 be building fast & cheap & having more starting units & more money, i have played a game with $40000 per player in a 4 way

Montego, if you watn to report these people go to http://hop.to/mb and then look under report and you will see D/C report. Fill it in, except where it says Type of D/C type how the guy cheated. If you want to see other reports, go to home then clans message board then Dc Forum.

• 1 year later...