Couple A' Things

Mahdi

First thing's first:  About, oh, three months ago Tezcatlipoca asked me to make a post about his Dune Tribes mod.  I had intended to try it first, but unfortunately I got bogged down in schoolwork, trips, and a broken computer.  But here it is, finally up:

With the recent release of the four-mission "Night Attack" campaign, DUNE, a mod for "Starseige: Tribes" has advanced yet another step as a highly accurate portrayal of Frank Herbert's Dune universe.

The game, completely FREE due to the recent legal release of the game "Starsiege: Tribes" takes a computer no more modern then a standard Pentium II powered PC, and a dialup modem as it's minimum requirements. The DUNE mod requires no official download, although some downloads are available for enhanced game play if a player wishes, all of which are free as well.

The DUNE mod itself is a First-Person-Shooter replication of squad based fighting among the House factions in the Dune universe, meant to reflect--as accurately as the engine can--the galaxy Frank Herbert designed. Although the graphic engine is seven years old, by just about all accounts it's the only DUNE based FPS available, and it's a dandy. Just about ever feature is straight from the novels, and depicts a technological timeframe encompassing the reign of Emperor Shaddam IV and Emperor Paul Muad'dib Atreides. You won't see any "sonic weapons" or "mechs" here. What you will see is a self-balanced and fairly complex system of hand-to-hand knife combat, supplemented with auxiliary lasgun and (rarer) projectile weapon options.

As mentioned initially, the four mission campaign called "Night Attack" was just recently released, which depicts the Harkonnen's night time assault on the Atreides held planet of Arrakis, and which nearly wiped out House Atreides itself; as described in the novel.

Lastly, there are several openings for leadership, and membership, in the Houses themselves that could only benefit from being filled by Dune fans such as you. All that's required to fill those slots is the ideals and attitude that that House encompasses. (Note also, joining a house is *not* a requirement for playing and enjoying the game!).

So be you a fanatical Fremen warrior, a loyal Atreides House trooper, a conscripted Harkonnen infantryman, a deadly Sardaukar swordsman, a covert Tlielaxu face-dancer, or merely a tasty snack for a worm, come check out the only Dune based FPS at www.jmods.bravepages.com/DUNE.html or visit/ask questions on the Fed2k thread. If you like Dune, you won't be disappointed by the game play.

Next, Space:  The Imagination Station is re-airing Children of Dune in its entirety this friday (Good Friday).  I'm hoping to put together a little Dune-a-Thon on the same day involving the movie, FHD, and CoD.  If you're interested in participating click here.

Last, but most importantly, our donation page is still falling short of its required cash.  Come on boys and girls, five bones each won't kill ya.  We're currently tossing around some idea's to recognize and thank those that have donated.

For more info on the current financial stats and donation options visit the Support FED2k page.

Hmm, I got a crappy marketing research project idea for the recognition.

How about a "Virtual Donor Wall"? ;) (I know it is horrible, school sucks and is stuck in my head.)

http://www.caripei.ca/vdonor.cfm <--Marketing research project is on this facility. 20 single space pages and counting.

Also don't forget to check out a Rare cut scene from Lynch's '84 Dune!