Miranda IM

Andrew

I don't use nconverse :) so I can't help you with that.

Webcam support... pretty sure there are no working webcam plugins for miranda (ie webcam wont work).

To change fonts (mostly contact list), you can do so at options->customize->list text

or if you want to change other fonts you can get Fontservice (ie history++, mydetails, tabsrmm, and other plugins)

Not sure if the text colour/formatting you send other people can be changed.

Actually, look here which might help you.

(doing some searches at miranda forums can provide answers sometime)

I'm not too familiar with ICQ, but I'm pretty sure it can be changed. If you are using "my details" plugin, you should be able to change it from there (if it's stuck on msn, right click on the my details area and tell it to cycle to next protocol).

The search feature at the filelisting sucks pretty bad. I know how you feel.

Look Here For Plugin Discussion Threads has a list of "popular" plugins. My details can be found there (hmm seems its not, I'm gonna get someone to update it) (My details is also in my miranda download)

my details thread where you can get the plugin.

EDIT:

sweet we are on second page. now it will load faster :P

Load faster? What kinda connection you on?

Anyway, just like to add my two pence:

Pros:

• Is really great to keep in contact with people using all different kinds of IM systems
  • Ad free!
  • Really customisable
  • Available, courtesy of Andrew, premade
  • Constantly in development

However,

Cons

• [+]Doesn't yet have some basic features supported by the other mainstream IMs
    [+]Stressful to set up
    [+]A bit buggy, with little help unless you post on a forum

My computer is somewhat bogged down as I havn't formatted it since last spring (and a shitty vid card doesn't help). So loading somewhat bigger than simple webpages takes a couple seconds longer.

And your two pence hit the nail on the head :)

pros

-Great for multiprotocol interoperability (?)

-ad free of course it's opensource. :P No more accidentally clicking on an ad and having it open your browser.

-really customizable is a big understatement, I'm sure my current config has a thousand options (which can be a con as well)

-premade mirandas are great. Many people offer premade miranda's (some are geared toward icq users, msn users, combination of icq+msn, etc). Last summer I was using premade mirandas, as someone made up to date configs, which at the time was hard to do (before updater plugin, and remove personal settings plugin)

-lots of developement, although some things would be nice to have fixed, but when microsoft etc do not release their protocol source, its hard to get them to work perfect.

cons:

-missing some basic features. True. It might not act the exact same as the normal IM or have the same features (such as ads ::) ).

-stressful to setup. very true. premade mirandas can help with that (but its still stressful to get it to work)

Also, the current official release overall is about a year old and is why many users have trouble getting it to work. They are currently testing some RC releases, and I'm hoping in a month or two will officially release a brand new version (their nightlies work fine, so I recommend everyone get those instead of the current official release).

-buggy. sure is, but there is always someone to help you on the forums, and if you can find the exact bug (ie is easy to replicate), the developers of plugins try to fix it if they are active developers (ie someone who made a plugin a year ago may not be maintaining it).

Once you get past the initial stage of getting used to it and figuring out the basics, it is very good to have, especially with all the plugins and customizations possible.

Dunenewt, I added you to my msn (using your msn info in your profile, but you havnt accepted me yet :()

Regarding my image at bottom of post

Don't like the look of clist? There are lots of skins. Want the avatar next to person name on clist to be bigger? It can be any size you want. Don't want the avatar there? doesn't have to be. Want avatar on right side of nick? it can be. Want to change fontsize/colour/font/effects? Can do.

Don't like the look of the message window? There are several different messaging plugins, and some of them can have different themes for them and change pretty much anything about them. Don't like the menu/titlebar/toolbar/buttons/tabs/etc etc in message box? It can all be changed (with tabsrmm at least).

Don't like the icons in any of my images? Well, guess what... you can change them to whatever you want. Don't like the menu order of contacts, main menu etc? you can rearrange it, remove, etc whatever you want. Want customized smileys without the third parties adding crap and making it difficult to remove/edit (I added juicy fruit shit to my msn messenger and I cant get rid of it all)? You can do whatever the f*ck you like.

Did I say tabbed messaging?!?!?!? (you like tabs in firefox to view multiple webpages without lots of windows open? I know at least Tabsrmm has tabbed messaging so no need for lots of windows to be open). Don't like the look of the tabs in my image? There are at least a hundred options to change the look, feel, the way it acts and size etc etc of the tabs and other things.

tabs6ny.jpg

Attached image of my miranda right now.

miranda8ik.th.jpg

To see a gmail chat smiley pack I put together and put on the filelisting, check out Gmail Chat Smileys 1.0 (see screenshot at that page for them, they are animated just like in gmail chat, but the image provided isn't casue its a jpeg :P)

Thing with miranda is you can do whatever you want to your liking with little interference from other people (aka msn telling you to pay for smileys/backgrounds etc) telling you what it has to look like or do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving back home, wont be online as much until beginning of next week. Only got the old PentiumII computer to work with so far.

You should create an account at miranda forums, as they would be more helpful (I can help as well, but its better to ask technical problem questions at that forum, as more people to help you). Will look at the miranda forum for your thread. You should state which version you are using (using version info plugin if possible), install crashrpt plugin, etc. Try running database tool on your profile (which you can find in your miranda directory).

If you don't notice me reply to it by Tuesday or no one else can help you send me the link (via PM).

Yes if you added a contact (I dont know anything about icq, but it should) while using miranda, it will have that contact saved on your contact list no matter what IM client you use. The contacts are saved to the msn/icq server.

Hmm, if it is your .dat file, you could try doing a "aggressively find corruption" database tool option on your profile. You can also import your contacts (their history etc) using import plugin on your old profile to the newly made one (not a copied version of old but a new one).

• 7 months later...

My current miranda config. Somewhat conservative, no flashy contact list skin.

Made for MSN and jabber (jabber= gmail email check/chat).

Comes with canadian dictionary spellcheck for where you type messages. That can easily be changed to your language (simply download dictionary from openoffice.org).

Only 3.6 mb download, 9mb unzipped.

Download:

http://www.mytempdir.com/1071481

CPU:              Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.70GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP [version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2]

Installed RAM: 512 MBytes

Free disk space on Miranda partition: 31194 MBytes

Miranda path: C:Documents and SettingsOwnerDesktopMiranda

Miranda IM version: 0.7.0 alpha build #01 Unicode

Build time: 19:40:56 on 12 November 2006

Profile size: 128.00 KBytes

Profile creation date: 20 Nov 2006 at 01:13:09

Language pack: No language pack installed

Nightly: Yes

Unicode core: Yes

Active Plugins (26):

AutoReplacer.dll v.0.0.1.4 [29 Jul 2006] - AutoReplacer

avatarhist.dll v.0.0.1.0 [30 Jun 2006] - Avatar History

chat.dll v.0.6.1.3 [13 Nov 2006] - Chat (Unicode)

clist_modern.dll v.0.4.3.60 [13 Nov 2006] - Modern Contact List (UNICODE)

crashrpt.dll v.0.0.0.2 [20 Dec 2005] - Crash Report

dbeditorpp.dll v.3.1.3.6 [21 Aug 2006] - Database Editor++

dbx_mmap.dll v.0.6.2.6 [13 Nov 2006] - Miranda mmap database driver

fontservice.dll v.0.1.4.4 [10 Nov 2006] - FontService

historypp.dll v.1.5.0.109 [05 Sep 2006] - History++ (2in1)

ieview.dll v.1.0.9.7 [21 Sep 2006] - IEView

JGmail.dll v.0.6.0.23 [27 Oct 2006] - Jabber Protocol (GMail) (Unicode)

KeepStatus.dll v.0.0.2.87 [24 Jul 2006] - KeepStatus

loadavatars.dll v.0.0.2.11 [13 Nov 2006] - Avatar service (Unicode)

msn.dll v.0.6.0.1 [13 Nov 2006] - MSN Protocol (Unicode)

mydetails.dll v.0.0.1.2 [25 Sep 2006] - My Details

nickhistoryw.dll v.0.1.0.0 [23 Aug 2006] - Nick History (Unicode)

nudge.dll v.0.0.1.12 [20 Oct 2006] - Nudge

png2dib.dll v.0.1.3.1 [13 Nov 2006] - PNG images processor

smhW.dll v.0.1.0.0 [23 Aug 2006] - Status Message History (Unicode)

smileyaddw.dll v.0.1.12.9 [06 Nov 2006] - SmileyAdd Unicode

tabsrmm.dll v.1.1.0.12 [13 Nov 2006] - tabSRMsgW (unicode)

tipper.dll v.0.2.4.4 [14 Nov 2006] - Tipper

TypingNotify.dll v.0.0.1.6 [04 Jul 2004] - Typing Notify

updater.dll v.0.4.11.0 [07 Sep 2006] - Updater (Unicode)

versioninfo.dll v.1.3.1.0 [02 Nov 2006] - Version Information

yapp.dll v.0.1.4.6 [14 Nov 2006] - YAPP

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Andrew, you havent updated this in a long time, which is a shame, as I came here for some advice on how to setup my new miranda setup.

There are new versions of miranda and new plugins no doubt. Would be good if you can at least update this thread with your latest setup... :P

Sadly I don't use miranda anymore. I still have it installed in winxp , but I use mostly ubuntu now, and don't really use any IM (facebook took over). Don't think many of my contacts use IM anymore either.

The miranda forums is best spot. As far as I know plugin wise, not much has changed. Need a plugin for something and it should be available.

Plugins I currently have installed and probably useful (seem to be same as previous posts):

clist_modern

dbeditor (only if necessary to edit database)

historykepperW ->dunno what this is

history++ ->best plugin ever? great management of history for everything.

tipper ->tooltip shows up over contacts to give info

yapp ->great popup plugin

Best to look at previous posts to see what can be useful to you.

Miranda was good, especially when I got 1on1 help from devs to figure out my weird msn connection issues.

/still have 7th most posts on forum, even though I havn't been active in 3 years... :P

Ahah, you can still be useful, Andrew.

Its History++ that is bugging me. Cast your mind back to when you added it, I say added and not installed as there just seems to be the assumption that it will be copied (the one dll file) to the right place automatically by the user.

I have copied it to the root of the Miranda folder and unlike the smileys addon, it doesnt show up. I know I need to make it the default history handler, but HOW?

All help appreciated.

Put it in plugins folder.

That is where almost all plugins/extensions go. I'm pretty sure smiley addon is supposed to go there as well, and pretty sure it comes default in /plugins directory. Of course your actual smiley files can be anywhere and you would point to the files in smileyadd options.

If doesn't' auto start, then open miranda go to options->plugins->checkmark plugin and restart miranda.

Andrew, you are worth your weight in gold, so long as you are very light!

It worked. Well, the reason I was stumped was I had been putting everything in to the root folder, and things like smilyadd came with its own plugins folder which was merged with the one already there. So I put history++ in the root to.

Thanks again.