How would Frank feel?

Imperial Sardaukar

How do you think Frank Herbert would feel, coming back from the dead, and looking at FED2K and it's forums? How would he feel watching the mini-series and the remakes, reading his son's work, looking at the video games? Would he be disgusted? Would he be flattered?

From what I've read, he didn't really want the books to be viewed as anything more than a great read. Maybe he wouldn't enjoy all this? Or maybe he'd love to see the legacy he has left behind?

What do you think Frank would be saying and feeling right now if he could see the Dune world as it is today?

Regarding the games, movie, miniseries: I think he'd view them with a kind of good-natured humour. As in, 'It can't hurt, and it makes them happy, and I started it, it's fine by me. Rather funny really, that I started all this with a few books.'

Regarding the prequels: I think he'd be saddened more than anything else. Probably angered if it was anyone but his son who was writing them.

I actually totally agree with you on the first part dante. I think he would look at it with good humor, regarding it as just a silly fancy that was kinda neat, and abit curious.

About the prequels though, I actually think that frank wouldnt be as angry aps people think he would be. In fact he would probably like it, but have disagreements. He didnt take his stuff as seriously as people think. I mean he did in that he was proud of it, but not in the sense that he was a freak about it and was mean. I think he would have strong disagreements, and maybe would want things changed, but I think he would be proud of his son.

yeah, I guess frank liked the idea of the film, and actually agreed in many points with david lynch, he just (like david lynch) got upset at the production of it, and how it turned out, as well as the extreme amount of cutting that was needed. Frank also didnt like how dirty the film turned out (watch it sometime it is really grainy and sometimes unpleasent to watch), and also he did have some disagreements with lynch.

Judging from the 2 notes I read in Heretics of Dune, and the Dune Encyclopedia, I would think he would be satisfied most of (or all) the Dune-related stuff. As said before in this topic, he didn't thought of Dune as some kind of sacred masterpiece. And he said he liked the Dune Encyclopedia (he said he approved it, but held his own counsel on some of the issues in it) So I doubt he would have had much against to all other Dune-related games, movies/miniseries, and fan-fiction.

He certainly wouldn't be as agressive as BH and KJA are, who don't seem to like other fan-fiction.

I wonder if he would have been at all disappointed. What I mean is, he would have had no qualms with the prospect of his work being added to, and certainly would not consider it a breach of canon, but I think perhaps he would have considered the prequels to be missed opportunities to educate, and to extend or add to some of the ecological (and other) themes in the original novels.