Fighting Style of Ginaz Mercenaries

Ninja_Sher

Whatever the really practised - they were successfully with it. To take out a machine requires very high skill.

There were surely a reason why the later ginaz swordmasters

were the most fearsome fighters in the duniverse. (Yeah apart from sardaukar, though i think sardaukar were pure killing machines while the swordmasters were thougt in many disciplines - leadership, diplomacy etc.)

But there is an interesting point, which also points out a major flaw in KJA's and Brian Herbert's depiction of Gurney Halleck's early years: Duncan Idaho says in "Children of Dune" that, despite his swordmastership, Gurney Halleck still beat him in seven of ten fights.

I guess Halleck was something like a born fighter, with the instincts to balance his lacking instruction.

Remember that fight with the water thief in Children of Dune (i forgot his name)? That clearly showed what a fine warrior Halleck really was.

I think the issue, TMA, is that Dune is so far in the future that the fighting styles are probably an amalgam of Old Earth East and West in addition to things that were invented in the time between. I think that the fact that Western militaries have adopted a few Eastern principles into their fighting styles (faster strikes, better hand-to-hand fighting skills) sort of indicates that any fighting style of the future would be a mix of styles, if anything at all.

I guessed it would be an eastern art, because eastern martial arts mainly teach to counter strength by being fluid like water (in a metaphorical way ;) ) and use the enemies momentum against him. Another principle is that your weapons are extensions of your hands. I think both principles are extremely helpful to fight something that is far superior in strength. (a machine for example).

Im not very knowledgeable about western fighting styles, but i never heard about these principles thought in western art.

You mean Tai-chi?

hmm not all eastern arts teach that kind of flowing philosophy. It really depends on the spiritual and common philosophies of the area around where that martial art grew. For instance there are some forms of kung fu that sprouted from militaristic ideologies, and these are usually fast, abraisive, and hard. You have other forms of kung fu practiced by buddhist and taoist followers that are usually much more flowing.

In japan you have many different forms of martial arts. Some like jujutsu are very flowing, teaching that you have to use an enemies force against him, while certain forms of karate teach to hit hard at the core of an enemy to crumble him. It is hard to bunch all martial arts of the east together like that, as there are literally hundreds of styles of the core arts in the eastern orient.

eastern and western fighting styles have many similarities, one fighting style seen during the rennaisance was the use of a rapier and a short sword, the same is seen in japan but with a wakishashi and a katana, the short sword is used to parry while the lond sword is used to strike.

Jujutsu means "martial art" to be sure. Judo is the way, application of jujutsu.

actually jitsu itself means "way of" or "art or practice of" ju means "gentle" or "to give way" and do means "way or principle"

therefore jujitsu means way of gentle or giving way of your enemy's strength.

and yes you cant combine martial arts as a whole, each one, even the divisions of martial arts from one basic type (shoshin ryu jujitsu compared to nishen ryu(sp?) are not at all the same) jujitsu is a martial art that generally uses no weapons, however you are trained in weapons if it comes to the necesity to defend against them. i am in Shoshin ryu jujitsu and we train in weapons (Bo and Jo staffs, nitan bo(escrima), sai, katana or bokin, , cane, and tonfa (might have missed some)). however to become a nidan you are only required 2 bo staff katas... so it isnt a truly stressed portion of learning... however my sensei believes (and i feel she is right) that learning weapons will help you in your basic and core techniques. So therefore, me only a yellow belt and i've already been using nitan bo, sai, bo staff, and tonfa...