Butlerian Jihad/Great Revolt

Bulterian Jihad took place quite a while before the first book, it's mention in the index at the end of Dune. I really didn't get the impression that the machines *did* anything, just that people kind of freaked out and destroyed them. The new "books" mention the Jihad in great detail, but I guess that's because they would have to come up with a story otherwise.

the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots begun in 201 B.G. and concluded in 108 B.G. It's chief commandment remains in the O.C. Bible as "Thou shall not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."
This is basically what is was, and it took place because it was perceived as a sin to "make a machine in the likeness of a human mind" and so The Butlerian Jihad (in this case it was a religious crusade) wiped out all the thinking machines and in the process:
...killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others...
As you can see it was a big battle and some might say Paul's legions (which were the Jihad) were as if Nazis of Paul, who is sometimes portrayed as Hitler. Hope this helps.

Ummmm Moidib your 2nd quote is used incorrect in what you are making a reference to about the Butlerian Jihad. Most importantly, Paul had nothing to do with the Butlerian Jihad(it's before his birth) he only made reference to it because when the jihad took place it also destroyed "important information" about history by elimnating the thinking machines.

Is there anyway that the Ordos could be machines from the Butlerian Jihad like maybe their highest ranking officials or maybe even cyborgs of some kind (not the army or those who are "hired" but those in power). I only say this because there is little known about them. Even with the B.J. taking place wouldn't the machines sort out some kind of refuge like the planet Draconius IV an inhostpitial envoriment for human life. I know they are not in the book only the Dune Ency. but maybe this is another place they are tied into the Dune saga by those other than Herbert. And this is not a right or wrong question just asking for creative information.

You know LOKI that is an interesting question or maybe humankind just got nervous about what the AI could do? I hope they finally write something on this subject there are questions surrounding this event in the Dune Saga that would make this a great novel.

I found something that might be of interest about the Butlerian Jihad

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them. The Great Revolt took away a crutch. It forced human minds to develop. Schools were started to train human talents.

Now we really see how the Great Revolt came to be.