Atreides Music

shadow

Hey, do any of you guys know how to put the Atreides music into the common music? You know...the music from the Atreides Campaign into the Skirmish Battle? I really need someone to tell me how to put the music into the Music.bag 'cause I already tried cut and paste and some other kind of crap. Thanks!!

It is possible to add all the Atreides Music so you can play it in skirmish.

First, download a program called BagTool. This will allow you to extract and recompile the music.bag files that the game reads in order to play music.

Insert the Atreides CD into your CD drive, and open up BagTool.

In BagTool, go to the File menu, and click on 'Open BAG File...'.

Search for and open the music.bag file located in the WestwoodEmperorDataMUSIC folder. The location of this folder will vary depending on where you installed the game.

Once you've found and opened the music.bag folder, you should see the contents of the file listed in the BagTool window. Now go to the File menu, and select 'Add BAG File...'.

Search for the music.bag file on the Atreides CD. Select it, and click 'OK'.

The tracks from the Atreides CD will be added to the list you already have. Go to the File menu again, and select 'Save As...'. Save the file with the name music, and leave the file format as .bag.

You will want to save the new music.bag file in the WestwoodEmperorDataMUSIC folder, because this is where the game will look for the music.bag file when it goes to play music.

Depending on how fast your computer is, saving the new music.bag file can be a time consuming process. You'll have to wait for the process to complete. :)

Once the new music.bag file has been saved in the WestwoodEmperorDataMUSIC folder with the tracks from the Atreides CD added, close BagTool.

Now navigate to your WestwoodEmperorDATAMUSIC folder and open up the CommonMusic.txt file.

Look for this:

;

; Atreides Skirmish themes

;

[Atreides1]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT01)The_War_Begins

Title = The War Begins

Phase = 0

[Atreides7]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT07)Ride_the_Worm

Title = Ride the Worm

Phase = 0

Now copy and paste the following directly below what is above.

[Atreides13]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT02)Sand_Excursion

Title = Sand Excursion

Phase = 0

[Atreides14]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT03)Assembling_the_Troops

Title = Assembling the Troops

Phase = 0

[Atreides15]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT04)The_Spice_Must_Flow

Title = The Spice Must Flow

Phase = 0

[Atreides16]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT05)The_Overseer

Title = The Overseer

Phase = 0

[Atreides17]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT06)Battle_of_the_Atreides

Title = Battle of the Atreides

Phase = 0

[Atreides18]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT08)Infiltrating_HK

Title = Infiltrating the Harkonnen

Phase = 0

[Atreides19]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT09)Unsuspected_Attack

Title = Unsuspected Attack

Phase = 0

[Atreides20]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT10)Fremen_Alliance

Title = Fremen Alliance

Phase = 0

[Atreides21]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT11)Assassination_Attempt

Title = Assassination Attempt

Phase = 0

[Atreides22]

Group = Atreides HD

Data = (AT12)Fight_in_the_Dunes

Title = Fight in the Dunes

Phase = 0

When done, save the changes to the CommonMusic.txt file, and close it.

Now go to run the game, and when you play skirmish as House Atreides, you should notice that all of the Atreides tracks will be played.

Make sure you make a backup of your original music.bag file and your original CommonMusic.txt file before you make any changes to them, in case you want to revert back to the originals without re-installing the game!

• 1 year later...

Okay, I decided to post on this thread instead, since it provided 1/3 of the solution. I noticed that the numbers started from 13. Why? Can I just start them from 1 to 12? Yes, I have done the music.bag stuff. What if I want to do the same for Harkonnen and Ordos?

My reccomendation has always been to ignore bothering to edit Emperor and simply extract the mp3s to your hard drive using the BagTool application as mentioned by IxianMace.  Then play them in an external program such as WinAmp or Media Player and disable the Emperor in-game music.  Since the amount of hard drive space consumed is the same and as Emperor merely acts as a jukebox, as opposed to Dune II which differentiated between "battle" and "scroll" music, you're not losing much this way and you gain a great deal more control over your playlist.  This to say nothing of the fact that you can now listen to the Emperor music in or out of the game.

--Bashar