Freelancer

Inoculator9

The game is in 2 words: very good!

It is not the best game, but it surely quarentees for many hours of playtime, if you like the game ofcourse...

This is a copy of the post I made on the Gameheaven forum about this game:

Well, put your thoughts about the game here.

Personally I think it is a great game, and much time has been put in it. A great 3D engine, without any annoying bugs. And it looks very good.

For the ones unknown to this game. It is game which allows you to fly in a small spacecraft through all kinds of solar systems. Fly to and dock at planets or space stations. And use special Jump Gates to reach other Star Systems. The goal of the game:

To earn credits by accepting missions (main purpose is just to shoot all the bad guys, or good guys, you decide on what side you play) and to buy new weapons, ships, and shields.

I think the systems are well designed. You have the standard habited systems, like New Yorkl, where you have civilians living, and some mining operations. But you have also very special and distance solar systems. Like one with red giant as sun, or even a neutron star.

The feeling you are in space is very real to me. I get my heart beating when I go on suicide flying to the sun, and hearing "Danger, entering Sun corona"

And the story missions are exciting, and bring you to a great plot.

There are only a few minor negative points about the game:

- No gravity, even when you are close to a neutron star, and cut you engines, you won't be drawn to the mass.

- Space looks very crowded qua nebulas in the background, or in the system. To crowded for real space

- The units used for distance and speed are fictional. So they don't give a clue about the real speed or distance

The nice thing about the game is that when you have finished all the story missions then there are enough systems to explore which you didn't visit in any story missions, and those solar systems are all special in their own way.

I would say yes if you ask if you should buy it.

Well, it's a very good game.

Maybe one of the best games I've ever played... Until the campaign is finished, that is. Then the fun factor of the game is dropping quite a bit. At least for me.

You should buy it, though. I really recommend it!

So increasing the mass makes the gravity really matter? Thanks for the tip. I will see what I can do with that.

I don't want only killing black holes, but if you come too close to the sun (deep in the deadly corona (the one that kills your ship, and not the warning zone)) or if you hang still too close to a planet you are drawn to it.

Too bad that the creators didn't do much with gravity while they did add it to the game, otherwise it would even be cooler :)

Oh, I've edited your post, because the length of the link screwed up your post. ;)

It was an OK game and nothing else, one of those nice one time single player games - play it, forget it. It doesnt have any big ships wich make space games great. All the time only small ships killing eachother, not very fun, wheres the cruisers, the BIG vessels cmon!!!

I always enjoy flying a heavy bomber loaded with some nukes and sending em to a big ass mothership and watch it go down.

And thats why i think Freespace 2 is one of the best space games out there, eventhough it is a game from year 1999.

If id have money to waste id probably be playing Eve online, wich seems to be THE BEST space game out there. Amazing graphics, big ass ships also and its constantly evolving, afterall its mmorpg, all the features it has are great. Too bad im piss poor :D

For its age, Freespace is perfect. And ships have much more detail than FL's. Just they are smaller. But I've converted Galatea to FL, and I simply can't give it her true size, the game will lag worse than anything else. FS is quality, simple...

• 2 weeks later...

That program is good only if you want to consume all mods, to try them. However, better is to read FL editing forums on that site, you will be surprised how easy is it to mod. And then you won't need a Kusari Gunboat Mod as you'll make a full fleet mod for yourself. Or for example this:

orionfull.JPG

I surely miss those (destroyable) battleships in the default version. My counter for battleships killed is only 2. I have more actually, but when I destroyed one (in the story missions) some lame friendly pilot fired another shot at it, so that I didn't got the kill (I'm sure it was a battleship, not a cruiser)

Inoc, how far are you with this game?