Westwood and a WAN

DLAGhost

Hey there all you smart people, I've installed Dune 2000 on my work laptop so that I can have a game with my sons, unfortunately I cannot hook up to WOL. Since I am updated with the right patches and have a correct password and user name, I must assume that the problem lies in the connection to WOL through our wide area network at my office. When I try to connect I get the message: "Connecting to Westwood Online" first for about a minute, then "Connection to Westwood Online failed, Check your ISP connection. Any ideas out there?

No, at present games would have to be through my network connection that is accessed via dial up and my home computer is on cable. Home computer has no problem connecting to westwood, but my work laptop does not connect. I know the passwords and usernames work already, and the 1.06 patch has been installed on laptop but I cannot get to westwood online.

So your company laptop can't connect from your work and from home, or just not from your work ?

If you can't connect from your work you should check with your admins if they are blocking certain ports or computers from accessing the internet. Although you should be carefull, as that is a thing most company admins don't want on their network. . so you might be asking why something illigalisn't working.

If you are also using your laptop at home, and you can't connect to WOL. . can you play a network game via UTP with your home computer ?

[ yes I know that uses another protocol :P ]

When you are trying to play with your sons, are you at home using a dial-up connection and they are on cable or our you at your work trying to log in WOL and play a game with your sons [ or one of them ] who are loggin in to WOL via your home cable connection ?

When trying to set up to play, they are on cable and I am on dial up. Once I can get authorization to put my lap top onto my cable connection at home all 3 computers would be hooked to router which I think would enable me to play them. That being said I still have to figure out what is blocking me from hooking to westwood on the laptop.

Once I can get authorization to put my lap top onto my cable connection at home

I presume that is not allowed by your service contract you have with your ISP ?

And when you are on dial-up, are you located at home or at work ?

If you have a switch, or a router with a build in switch at home, most ISP's don't have a rule against local networks. [ and I can't see how the can have such a rule ]. You can try to set up a LAN game to see if hat works ?