Some Creative Characters in Prequels

TMA_1

I do pick on the prequels, but there are little threads of absolute genius that I can only praise. They are worthy in my opinion to be apart of the true canon of Dune, not really for their importance, or for their relavency, but because they are so darn creative. I have two I will mention at the top of my head.

1: C'tair: I thought this character was so well thought up. It is a character of depth, and real meaning. All of the other people of house Vernius annoyed the hell out of me, (maybe excluding D'murr) and were really petty in my opinion, but the idea of a failed navigator, who comes back to his homeworld which is soon put to the test, and it's house loses. Though I dont like the idea of Vernius at all, C'tair is a great character within it. Creating a machine that uses the basics of holtzmen technology to cross the span of time, the brief love affair with a fellow revolutionary, the coming to terms with Vernius' own evils in using genetically dimmed down humans as workers. I just liked it all a lot.

2: Erasmus: I forgot the spelling of his name, I think that is it, correct me if I am wrong. I am just too lazy to get my b jihad book out. I like the subtle ways of this character, and the clever intelligence it has. It is more human than many characters in the book, and it is a robot. I like the idea of it's physical nature, a face that can alter shape, the idea of it being a mechanical creature that wishes to be almost human, yet despising humanity. I just really liked him.

How about you guys? what do you guys think?

(On a side note, working on the Celestia In Dune thing, have it zipped in a new way now just need time to transfer it, I have a dial up, so yuck.lol)

I quite liked the guy who made the new spice for the emperor, as well as the Sardaukar Captain who went to keep an eye on him. Especially when the invasion starts and the sardaukars kill dozens of rebels on their own. (I can't remember either of their names though)

Erasmus was probably the best character from the B Jihad though, although I didn't like those books so much. :-

you know? NHJ I would have to agree. that is pretty silly.lol Now before any of you say anything, think about it, using speech to communicate with one another is a waste of time, a waste of engineering. When you could communicate within milliseconds between one another, and know exactly what another machine is thinking with the identical thought patterns, it seems silly to speak.

I think the answer is pretty simple though, it is easier to write a story with talking robots, it would be difficult to write one where there is no speech, and only thought transfers or things of that sort.

I also thought about that when I read the book. but I think that it is only a way to write it. does the book say that they really SPEAK?

The Omnius-Erasmus dialogues are all spoken. Omnius does not speak to, for example, all robots he commands in the battle for the Earth (IIRC), and perhaps the dialogue speech could be attributed to Erasmus' strangeness/ interest for humans, but I don't think Omnius would also speak back to him, as Omnius isn't interested in humans as much as Erasmus.

"You can't do experiments on people...until you won't try it on something else!" - J.Sevc, leader of Communist Party of Slovakia. Commentary to some economical reforms nowadays we are proceeding, with slightly ironical point to 50s. Next time you may leave this for personal contact trough IMs.

• 1 month later...

I liked all of the characters, especially Hecate being a rogue Titan. So, I was disappointed when she was killed in a rather ignomious way. I felt that she should have had a bigger part helping. I was also thinking that the two in the ship should have waited a few seconds longer to find out why a titan rescued them from other titans. I must admit, I didn't want Hecate to die at all, she didn't seem to deserve it. Any comments on this I'd appreciate hearing.

Caid, do you know that you're a very complicated guy when it comes to IM vs post? ;)

I think that the prequels still can have the qualities of books done by some authors, like any other book. In this specific case, it seems that this fanfiction based on some of what Herbert left may in part be written for monetary reasons or things like this, perhaps added to nicer reasons too. How many humans would not write a book if to write it would give them lots of money? Many would, even if it needs to convince themselves that it is correct and that they would do it anyway...

I do not have alot of information about Brian and Anderson, but it looks like capitalization on a market brand to me. They seem to exploit the max they can, in a form that brings to my mind that not all creation is art, and that it may be something between art and something else. I wonder if they have something specific to say in their books or if they just bring whattever what's on their mind, without any care about if it's a valuable part, as long as it sells. I'm pretty suspiscious of these two guys...

• 2 weeks later...