[RELEASE] War of Assassins Sandstorm expansion campaigns

Feda

It took me a while, but I finally released the promised expansion pack for war of assassins. Sandstorm puts an end to the story started in WOA, featuring new sides which join the war on Dune. 

Download: http://downloads.cncnet.org/Games/Dune2000/MissionLauncher.zip

Also, the updated dune2000.exe (if you have funky;'s patches u don't need this): http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/d2k/dune2000.exe

You have all the files you need in there. However, to play Sandstorm you MUST make sure that you copy TILEDATA.BIN from the Data folder in the mission launcher to the data\bin folder of the game. Each House has 7 missions (yes, 7 not 9), and the story follows the same path for every house, you just get to see it from different perspectives (just like it was in war of assassins). I suggest you carefully read the briefing before starting (using the mission launcher) as there is no briefing or objective screen in-game.

nrwk7.jpg

I'll post more screenshots the next days if i have some time :D

• Upvote 2

Umm, i tested them and they really shouldnt give issues like that fail mission one.

I'll have to look at ordos 3 to see whats wrong. The problem when releasing many missions is that its hard not to mess up a thing or two xD

Shawn, try to copy the missions in dune2000/missions folder (not in the data folder). Some versions read them from there instead of the data folder.

i checked mission 3 u just made mistake - u start with hakonnen full base, and ordos got nothing only few bulding  cy ref winds and barack

Yep I probably accidentally used the hark mission for ordos. I'll fix it soon

So far I played the first level Atr. I didn't see nothing wrong, just only a bit odd the "The Harkonnen are now hostiles" message received like 8 times in a sec.

Of course, this is because you set the Harkonnen to neutral indefinitely, so everybomb from my thopters over the light infantry spawned from the palace trigger the message.

I manage to beat the first five levels from the Atreides. I really Like the level where everyhouse have their own job to do.

Level 6, however, is too hard to me. Too many enemies with too fast building for me. Seeing the Guild rebuilding things crush my only hope, and with a time limit the level is just too hard to me.

I don't even going to try level 7, too much things there.

By the way, I don't understand the first level from Harkonnen.

Is suposse that you active the bases, so the IA start buildings units to use against the enemies. But the thing is, after you active the three Harkonnen bases... then what?

You are just suposse to wait until they win or what?

Also, you need to make the units around those inactive bases becoming enemies. Is really weird seeing a light infantry attacking the combat tank while the tank doesn't care.

you can make those units becaming enemies with the base you actived, and maybe making them bersek, to avoid just standing there until the IA decide to go after them, or something similar.

I manage to beat the first five levels from the Atreides. I really Like the level where everyhouse have their own job to do.

Level 6, however, is too hard to me. Too many enemies with too fast building for me. Seeing the Guild rebuilding things crush my only hope, and with a time limit the level is just too hard to me.

I don't even going to try level 7, too much things there.

By the way, I don't understand the first level from Harkonnen.

Is suposse that you active the bases, so the IA start buildings units to use against the enemies. But the thing is, after you active the three Harkonnen bases... then what?

You are just suposse to wait until they win or what?

Also, you need to make the units around those inactive bases becoming enemies. Is really weird seeing a light infantry attacking the combat tank while the tank doesn't care.

you can make those units becaming enemies with the base you actived, and maybe making them bersek, to avoid just standing there until the IA decide to go after them, or something similar.

Level 6 (i think its the one with the smugglers) has a key element: the smugglers. Destroy the outpost to have them as allies, it really becomes easy afterwards. Hint: superweapons can do the job pretty quickly.

Yep, thats the first hark mission

Level 6 (i think its the one with the smugglers) has a key element: the smugglers. Destroy the outpost to have them as allies, it really becomes easy afterwards. Hint: superweapons can do the job pretty quickly.

Yep, thats the first hark mission

Doesn't matter, I destroyed the outpost in my second death Hand but even with that the Harkonnen loose 2 buildings, My harvesters dieing one by one, and even the Smuggler have trouble defending themselves against the sonic tanks.

Well you could add some active rol to the player instead just waiting 10-15 minutes until they win. At least some reinforcementes just to "do something", joining your little forces to the IA attacks or... I don't know.

Doesn't matter, I destroyed the outpost in my second death Hand but even with that the Harkonnen loose 2 buildings, My harvesters dieing one by one, and even the Smuggler have trouble defending themselves against the sonic tanks.

Well you could add some active rol to the player instead just waiting 10-15 minutes until they win. At least some reinforcementes just to "do something", joining your little forces to the IA attacks or... I don't know.

That's how I planned that mission, I even wrote it in the briefing. It doesn't take 10-15 mins, with all 3 bases activated they kill the enemy in maximum 5 mins every time I played the mission.

That's how I planned that mission, I even wrote it in the briefing. It doesn't take 10-15 mins, with all 3 bases activated they kill the enemy in maximum 5 mins every time I played the mission.

Playing at what speed? Because if you play at normal the time is doubled.

Anyway I though I was missing something that the player should do afer the activation of the three bases, but seems that I just only need to wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this is the 2nd time I'm writing here and lost what I was posting. So, it will be a bit resumed.

First of all, thank you for sharing these campaigns. I have been playing it, and I'm on harkonnen, after finishing the atreides campaign - it has been great to play this, the story has character and I like what you did with the briefings. Technically, I appreciated you did different stuff with missions, like ally play, neutral factions, text in game, help this and that, etc - it diversifies, instead of just kill x y z, or me vs every one.

I was going to write this soon but there's some issues with the harkonnen campaign, mission 4, that led me to write in this forum sooner than I wanted. (I wanted to finish everything). I also read somewhere here that there's an ordos mission which is bugged too. I hope you can place a new download with everything corrected, since in http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26918-release-dune-2000-war-of-assassins/page-1the download is broken and in this thread the harkonnen mission still has the issue.

fee0d5.jpg

I hope you can reply soon or some other forum member / mod. Thank you.

This should be it. Tell me if it still has any issues. I found the fixed one somewhere in my early testing folder when i was creating the campaigns, apparently i mixed up a few "beta" missions in the release pack by mistake, this explains the errors. 

_D2K_H4.zip

This should be it. Tell me if it still has any issues. I found the fixed one somewhere in my early testing folder when i was creating the campaigns, apparently i mixed up a few "beta" missions in the release pack by mistake, this explains the errors. 

Yes! That's it, I just tested and the crash doesn't happen at 10:40.

Thanks for sharing this :) really cool.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome missions... Some impressions I got so far,

I have been playing on the ordos side of the sandstorm expansion (atreides was smooth), and the last mission is tough to have my allies alive while I struggle to build my base. The problem is the atreides, they are always overwhelmed byt the emperor. The harkonnen hold on by themselves but with the left flank broken it's just too much for us both lol.

My tactic is to get enough turrets to hold a line of defense, and my reinforcements I move to help on the atreides defense. I've tried going after the harvesters also but the atreides have always been the problem, they don't fortify their base to have it resistant to enemy waves.

Any thoughts on how to approach this mission successfully?

Yea I'm aware of that thing in the last level, and that's what makes it cool in my opinion :D I didn't want to make it the same for all 3 houses (since it's literally the same mission), so this thing actually gives some variety to all 3 versions of the last mission.

The way I did it was to have a small group of units in my base defending, and sending periodical reinforcements to the Atreides (Harks can take care of themselves since Atreides lure all enemies to their base). After a while they will be strong enough to survive on their own.

Hint: the key of beating the level with any House is actually patience. The more time passes, the better your chances of winning are because of the economical situation of the enemies. I won't spoil it more than this, but after a while your team will take the upper-hand when it comes to spice :P

• Upvote 1

I realized that patience is key in some daunting missions... that's true alright.

My strategy was to keep trying to defend the atreides too and I'll keep insisting on it. Tough thing is that ordos only have tanks as best armor to manufacture... and the starport runs out of missile launchers very quick.

Sometimes I look at their map section and the imperor's forces just suddenly roll several buildings before I get there to defend in time, crippling their defensive and production capacities.

Challenging xD I have to focus more lol

Edited by jamesensor
  • Upvote 1

Yea, probably the easiest version is the Harkonnen one, since you can easily move to any of your allies if needed and the enemies usually target the Atreides. Ordos generally do great on their own so you can easily assist the Atreides. :D