MUDs MUSHes and MOOs

Lord J

I played Dune Mud for some weeks, but the it's highly addictive nature influenced the monthly internet bill to the negative. Anyway, it is very well done and a little-known in the big worlds of Muds.

If you can live with some arrogant (not to say "dorky") Ixian players, it is THE online rpg for every Dune fan.

Yep, you spelled em right. MUD = multi-user Domain/Dungeon/dimension/<insert random word starting with a 'd' here>

MUSH = Multi-User Shared Hallucination (a lot of RPing. Not a lot of playing the game. Imo more of a chat-room with personality then a game ;))

MOO = Object Oriented MUD. As far as i know, just a way to program a MUD. Never played them, but have heard that the playability is actually also geared towards and OO theology.

As for MUDs, been playin' 'em for close to 10 years. Only type of game that can hold my interest for a long time.

Currently Head Immortal (highest staff member next to owner with equal vote) of a fantasy themed SMAUG-code MUD called Dark Forest. Its mostly hack and slash but we highly encourage roleplaying, and its been going up lately. I think theres a link for starting new players out in my sig.

If anyone is looking for resources/mud seaches then you'll want to look at www.TopMUDSites.com, www.mudconnector.com and www.kyndig.com the three top listers.

Only type of game that can hold my interest for a long time.

Exactly. It's a lot closer to the "Total Immersion" type of system I'm hoping for. Your character has nothing to do with pixels and massive armies. Not to mention the total lack of processor (and connection speed) pulling graphics.

I might take a look at your MUD sometime. I'm only a lowly lvl 47 Klingon Warrior on Areth, but I enjoy the writing and character developement. Along with the elf-slaughters :D

Advanced telnet/MUD clients for most platforms can be found here:

http://www.onlineroleplay.com/Text-Based_MUDs/MUD_Clients/

I use Zmud v5.55 personally, and as long as your not running under a windows NT kernal (winNT, win2000 or winXP) you should be able to use the free version of Zmud just fine.

GMUD is also very good in that it has the critical features, and is small enough to hold on a floppy.

Ya, some MUDs tend to do that with exits. Usually it will just be a cruddy builder that does it, but many times it's just a maze thats built that way purposly to confuse you. Best thing to do is map it out on graph paper as best you can until you memorize your way around. Of course.. some areas give a hard time to map out on graph paper because they arn't set in any rigid grid but...