Dune's Tribulation

TMA_1

I have kinda realized (even though it is obviously stated in the books) how massive and deep reaching the destruction of spice would have been if paul had given the command to mix the changed waters with the pure spice. Space travel, economic desaster, monopoly destruction. All of it is just a breath of the whole spirit of desolation. The greatest leveler would have been the deaths from spice withdrawls. Cultures can always rebuild themselves, economies will regrow, but destruction of man on such a scale would be horrible. Not only would billions upon billions of common citizens and nobles alike die and go mad, but even Paul and his fremen would sacrifice themselves. I never realized how suicidal that was until now. I know it sounds dumb, but it was just one of those times where you go "whoa".

hmm I disagree with you there. something like 60 billion were killed in total. Thats a hell of a lot, but thousands of planets are inhabited and with populations going at least 5 or so million. Just add those large population planets and you have a huge amount of people. though 60 million is a huge chunk of lives and a horrible waste of good people, the spice wass used by a majority of the population. I believe more so than those killed in the jihad.

That is just my opinion. YOu may be right, but even so, the jihad equals in destruction to what the spice withdrawls would have caused.

Due tot he spice being produced only on one planet, and teh guild using an incredible amount of it, and the extreme cost of it, I doubt most users of spice would be anything other than ocasoinal users, and therefore not addicted. Even people who lived on Dune, as long as they could get off-world supplies, did not get addicted to the spice. Look at Gurney and the smugglers.

Using the fact that you need large amounts of the spice to get addicted, the amount needed to get over 60 billion people addicted would be practically impossible to get from one planet. Plus, remember how surprised Jessica was when she learned the spice was addicted? Until Paul took over, no one kenw the spice was addictive, besides the guild and fremen, because no one could afford enough of it to become addicted.

One of the things that amazed me was that the main people who would die as a result of the destruction of the Spice were the Fremen. Imagine being so devoted to a leader that you were willing to bargain with the lives of your entire nation. It really shows you how much they trusted/revered/feared Paul.

In BJ, they have a fair interstellar community without the Guild :- Surely the whole order of BG'd die out and the Guild's navigators but in fact, Mahdi's right, with the price and amounts of spice, there'd be only numerous people without the Fremen, Bg's and the Guild that're adicted :-