Air condictioning, personal computer and armors ....

technocrat

There was A.C in like Palaces and stuff...

As for the machines well humans were almost destroyed by machines in the Jihad so their trust for machines went downhill. Of course you'll have some place like IX using them still. And as for armor, heavy winds and insane weather conditions destroys anything armor on Dune.

Oh computers could be used with no problem at all. It is just a matter of keeping the AI (if the computer even needs it) within the bounds of the convention. I think the reason why you dont see a lot of the mechanical,ultra advanced stuff in Frank's books is because the jihad changed the face of technological advancement. After the jihad, the fear of technology in general hindered almost everything in the universe. You find that they start to move towards an ideal of organic and natural advancement. The Guild did this to create their monopoly based on spice and the navigators; the various houses begin to mine and produce things like crystal-strengthened metals and metal fiber video film. The people didnt think anything different about these odd technologies. For thousands of years, the imperium changed it's philosophies and technologies to suit their beliefs and needs. After all those years, the technologies they had became natural to them and wouldnt want it any other way.

ALl of this is just my opinion.

I'm not calling you a moron here, but if you read the books, you'd know most of the answers to those questions.

Air conditioning:

It probably does exist. But why would it be mentioned? By the way, it would probably be fairly cool on Arrakis at night (esp. seeing as how it's not a desert because of heat, and there is probably a fairly low amount of greenhouse gasses), and in caverns and sietches.

Computers:

Because of the Butlerian Jihad, computers are prohibited. Only the most basic automatic machines are permitted. In the Terminology of the Imperium, they refer to a timed automatic device as being one of the most advanced devices permitted in the Imperium. I believe it was called a servok, and it was seen in the Wierding Room in Palace Arrakeen. It watered plants.

Online Banking:

The Spacing Guild controlled banking, and CHOAM controlled commodities/stocks. Because of the vastness of the universe, and the lack of faster-than-light communications, and the restrictions on technology from the Butlerian Jihad, things like that are impossible.

Vehicles:

Regular vehicles do exist. "Groundcars" are mentioned a few times in the Chronicles. Heavy vehicles like tanks are largely obsolete due to the fighting techniques (knife/sword fighting with shields) of the Imperium. Aslo, on Arrakis particularly, the dust causes machines to break down easily. The Atreides had to refit a bunch of their Ornithopters to protect them from the dust.

hmm I never found computers to be illegal during post jihad times. could be wrong though.

Servoks were not the most advanced if I remember right, it was just the furthest they could go without breaking the rules of the jihad.

Vehicles on arrakis would call a worm.

Air conditioning per se would not survive easily on account of sandstorms. Other cooling methods would inevitably be used.

Was it "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likness of a human mind" - OC Bible?