module <unknown> at 0000:02ce0000.

Registers:

EAX=024d0000 CS=017f EIP=02ce0000 EFLGS=00010246

EBX=0c2f2054 SS=0187 ESP=0059e7c4 EBP=0059e840

ECX=0059e800 DS=0187 ESI=0c2f273c FS=55cf

EDX=000004d8 ES=0187 EDI=024d04d8 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

0c2f706c 024d0000 000004d8 0059e800 00000000 0c2f2054 0c2f2054 00000000 bff70000 0059ea54 0c4678aa 02cf0000 00000000 00008000 0c465058 00000000

Now for the continued part of it.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Hmmm....I just ran Windows Update yesterday-ATM,there are only bracketed zeroes in Critical updates,etc

Well....nothing changed....no wait......i changed my desktop theme from Ordos to Atriedes,thats 1 out of 2 things i changed,and 2nd thing,i downloaded a game called Liero that Scytale said about in http://www.dune2k.com/forum/?board=29;action=display;threadid=9432 ,i heard downloading something from the internet might contain virus...

And btw,my trial 2003 Norton Antivirus has expired,i daily go to www;symantec.com to scan my comp,but that system is never updated I think.

So I think its a virus

Dammit,i ran the virus scan and while doing that, i wanted to rename the attached screenie as the name 'untitled' was taken already and it could not be attached,so i right-click on it,and tada,it didnt display popups but instead went back to desktop and all my running windows were gone....it must be a virus/hacker!

Dammit,the picture is too smALL NOW,what really is going on in this damn laptop??

Edit:No viruses were detected in memory.

The scan did not detect any viruses in the files it scanned. The scan does not scan compressed files.

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Is that trial version of Norton still installed on your computer ?

If so, try to de-install it compleatly and errase all left over files.

You could also try to install explorer 6, just in case some files got corrupt, it will replace those.

A trial version isn't supposed to run longer then the trial period anyway. You could use another trail version [ preferably not from Norton ], find a free virus scanner or just buy one.

They don't offer you the protection level as installed software on your PC itself would offer. As online scans are just preformed when you start them [ by going to the site ], installed scan software would check contstantly, warning you before a possible virus woul deffect you. If you do an online virus scan from a known company they should be ok [ as you give the scanner full read rights over your computer ], and if you'r connected to the internet by a 56k modem, it can take a long time before it has scanned your whole system. Besides the above, they are ok :)

Let me know if removing Norton helped any. You could de-install a trial version just a few minutes before the trail ends, make shure you remove all files and regestry entry's of it and download another free trial .. . ;D

You could manually search for Norton related files with regedit and delete all the keys you find. Although if your not that familliar with regedit [ or your regestry ] there is a programm out there called regcleaner. [ some other programms do the same job, just with another name. ] I've used it briefly ones, and it's not that bad. Althought commercial software can sometimes provide better interfases and more advanced options. Regcleaner is usually sufficent for normal use at home.

You could look for a version yourself it you'd like. This is a download at Cnet offering a download link for the Regcleaner version they have. I'm not really shure if it's the same version as the one I had back then, so don't blame me if it's not as you expected ;) :-