Dune Jihad turn comments

Andrew

I think I can figure out that concept, but I'm trying to make this a one post game. where as you post only once per turn, although that means you may not know outcomes of stuff.

How about what you said, but only a maximum of 3 armies can move to the new territory? This way I don't have to wait for them to post how many they want to move to the new teritory after I've decided the battles.

So I would be moving as many as I can up to 3, then thats all that can move from the territories to new territories.

I believe I understand what Ken is saying. According to the rules of Risk, the attacker must move a minimum number of armies as they rolled dice (i.e. 1 to 3). I agree with Andrew that we should keep this a one-post a turn game. Therefore, why don't we use the retreat number to deremine how many armies *remain* behind after a battle is won? In fact, this would probably better simulate actual Risk rules.

The formula would look like this:

Armies Moved = Total Armies - (Casualties + Retreat Number)

Since the default retreat number is 1, the maximum number of armies moved will always be one less than the original total, which is what Ken is saying. If a player did not want to commit the entirety of his army, let's say he has 8 armies but only wants to attack with five, he'd set a retreat number of 3 and if the region were won, three armies would remain behind the remainder of the five armies would be moved into the newly conquered region.

Once we've gone through the beta game we should probably change the name of the "Retreat Number" to something that more accurately describes its purpose.

--Bashar

---------- Added text ----------

I just noted the question on whether or not a person can use a card to transport armies to a region he has not yet conquered. I don't see anything wrong with this; however, perhaps to mitigate abuse of this a rule could be introduced that states if the player fails to conquer the disputed region he has set transport orders to, the card is still lost even though no armies were moved.

calm down Ken, it's not running anywhere. I just played the "real" thing yesterday with a couple of friends, I started with my armies scattered all over the plate so did the other. The third on the otherhand had south america and africa allmost from the beginning. It took some time but he won I nearly had him though :P

In the other thread, DukeLeto said he wanted to send in 10 armies of the 12 from the 2 territories he was attacking from. I did not do this, I used all armies from the 2 territories (but with a 2 army retreat). If I didnt I would have used only one army retreat. Teh question is can people say they only want to use X armies out of Y armies in a territory/territories?

I would say no to keep it easier to do. If you are attacking from a territory all armies will be used, but you can put a retreat number as to when you want to stop the attack(because your armies are dieing.)

if no retreat number is given the default is one(or 0, same thing on calculator) or the number of territories attacking.

comments please.

Also the first turn is over! Any comments? I know it went a little slow, but was busy, maybe if the modders can make the game into a program(electronic game) type thing it would be faster.

Armies used = Total Armies - Retreat number.

It's as simple as that. Thus if DukeLeto wants to send in 10 of 12 armies, all he has to do is set the Retreat number to 2. I've tried to emulate Risk combat rules precisely so there is no difference between an attack made by an army of 10 with a retreat value of 5 and an army of 6 with a retreat value of 1 (both attack with the strength of 5 armies).

The Retreat number equates to the number of armies being held back. Maybe we should rename the Retreat Number to the Hold number? That might make it less confusing, especially now that we have a better understanding of what it does.

--Bashar

You could say he could only send in 10 armies, but in the calculator I put 12 armies in and 2 retreat(1 for each territory as they are required)

But sure, I understand, just the way he phrased it made may confused..he said he was moving the armies when he was actually attacking.

Also for the formula

the retreat number is 1 by default I think.

Does everyone like this rule? before the number of territories was divided by three and rounded to lowest whole number. makes sense if you only had 2 teritories and no capital you would recieve no armies. So to me lowest number of armies is 3 no matter what you have.

people respond if you think it is a good idea or not.

if no one replies i will make it a rule.

And you can move all 10 armies back to E6 (provided one stays back to defend the new territory) this all depends on if you win and number of armies, although the formula decides how many moves to new territory (but you can move up to 10 back to the attacking territory)

Also do you get the 3 armies, + the 1 army for capital or just the 3 armies?....as i have been giving people with capitals just 3 armies.

In the original risk a capital provided 0 units, though, there was a risk that used capitals, "conquer 3 capitals and you win, you must keep your own one" that was the rule.

I can give you some more risk rules if you want andrew.

quote from ken124578 :

"With that army i attack E5 first, no retreat, then E7, after that i move all my armies back to E6, if they can't all be moved to that location with the default "move 10 units at the end of the turn" then i use my buggy card to carry the rest to E6."

You can not attack 2 territories with one territory in a turn.

So right now I'm just going to ignore that..unless you object, as in that is not the way it is stated in the rules. Unless people want that "rule" changed....PLEASE people tell me your opinion. We need it to make game better.

I do realize it says nothing about that in the rules.

"A player can only attack 6 different territories in a turn, but can attack them as many time as they want. (ie. from other adjacent territories. So I can only attack 6 territories but from 10(or any other number of) territories)"

And if you did do this, you realize that a number of armies is auto moved to the conquered territory using a formula then the rest from original territory would attack. Nope I dont think that rule enabling a person to attack multiple territories in a turn as it may mean that people would have to post several times for the turn.

This is really messed up andrew, the formula you used with me was: amount of territories : 3 + 0 for the capital.

This later changed to a default number, 3.

With dunewt you used:

9 territories = 3 armies + 1 army for capital = 4 armies total to place.

As you said earlier in a older topic, something like 2 + 1 for the capital, forget about that, lets look at this formula, he has not captured any capitals and only has 1.

I have 2 capitals and "benefit" from the default amount of units being placed at the beginning of the turn (if everything turns out to be lower then 3, which was the case in the totally different formula used with me)

Looking at dunewts formula used: amount of land : 3 = 2, default 3.

3 + amount of capitals.

3 + 2 = 5.

Could you change your post now and if you want to change formula's, please do so in a new turn.

once a capital is captured it is destroyed and you recive no armies for it. So the max # of capitals you can have is 1 even if you captured everyones capitals, as tehy are destroyed when captured.

I figured for the default 3 armies is the minimum, if you have less than 3 armies.

say # of territory armies =2 and you ahve a capital +1 so it would equal 3. i dont think i wil start with 3 armies then add number of territories armies you recive + capital(if one).

So you get 3 armies minimum which includes your capital, it doesnt go 3 armies plus the capital. Lets say you have 3 territories, thus you get one army for territory plus one for capital(if there is one), which only makes 2, so then it is raised to 3 as it is the minimum you recieve per turn.

Army placement:

One army on each of the following:

B5

C10

E8

B1

Attack orders:

3 armies from B1 to attack B7

3 armies from B2 to attack B3

1 army from C1 and one army from C9 to attack B6

I think instead of saying 3 armies attack when there are 5 or so armies on a territory, you say B1 attack B7 with retreat of 2 (if five armies on B1) which means err. just think of the formula

soo. I'm not sure.. all the armies from your territory attack another territory, but you can states a retreat number which means the number when you retreat.

Also when attcking from multiple you use all armies from the territories but there is a min retreat number which is equal to # of territories.

I know its confusing I don't understand it quite myself.

I can now say that dune risk had failed, noone has posted for awhile and the last move was like... 7 days ago?

Failed no. Stopped for now yes. A lot of bugs have come out of this round, and once they are fixed there will be less bugs ;) .

I have exams starting tomorrow, and once exams are done (15) my internet will be gone, and I will be getting dialup. So more info to come before I lose high speed.

The "new" (temporary) Dune Jihad webpage is

http://www.freewebs.com/andrewabc/

as my eastlink account will be terminated soon.

The crappy part of that webhost is that they give you 40mb of space, but only 100mb bandwith per month..how stupid can they be??

quote from dunenewt:

"With that army i attack E5 first, no retreat, then E7, after that i move all my armies back to E6, if they can't all be moved to that location with the default "move 10 units at the end of the turn" then i use my buggy card to carry the rest to E6."

I never said that

try polarhome.com andrew, 20 mb free space but 500 mb bandwidth, the good thing about it is that they allow offline linking, you get a FTP and MySQL account, they support PHP and some more things that i've forgotten, my site and forums are hosted by them (seperate links)