Please help (C&C Generals Issue)

Hello there im having some problems with C&C Genrals i dont know if any one can help me here but i dont know where elese to go.

My problem is that genrals installs fine but when i go to play the splash screen comes up then an error appears saying "Technical Difficalties" and just says " A serious error has occured" what do i do.

Can any one help me i would very much apreciate it

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

First of all, your test results are showing you have some problems with Directx. I'd suggest to try and install Directx 9.

Second, your video card drivers are way out of date. Make sure you update them. Same goes for your soundcard drivers.

Third, make sure the ingame graphical settings are set to low, and 800x600.

Fourth, try playing with an open case to get rit of any heat that might be in the casing.

Fifth, I dn't know how many ram sticks you have, but make sure they are seated in the right slots, or try re-seating them (may sound strange, but it actually helped people solve this problem).

well i did try to install direct x 9 but some where down the line when downloading it there was a problem and direct x 9 is not able to install. every time i try to restart the installation it does not download a fresh copy of direct x but insted uses the one i already have which is currupt.

I have tried to install updated graphics card drivers but again there is a problem with doing this. I use my dvd player on my pc and then conect this to my tele so i can watch movies but to tell the graphics card to switch to an analog tv i have to select a pal tv with in the graphics options. When i update my graphics drivers i lose the ability to do this for some reason so i cant update my drivers.

My ram is a single card 256 as you know but i have no problem with heat with in my pc as it is a medion design XL case which basicly means that the case is very cool with a couple of wind tunnels at the frount. So in terms of heat dispation i think my case it fine.

do you know of a way to reinstall direct x 9 but actually downloading a fresh copy or away to get around my graphics card problems?

Thank you so much for trying to help me i am very greatful

I've not heard of a problem downloading directx versions before. You might want to make sure that you download the correct drivers from the correct site. Make sure that any anti virus scanners are deactivated to ensure that they aren't interfearing with the download.

As for your Graphics card drivers, what you need is to download the drivers provided by the card manufacturer and not the Nvidia drivers. When you install the Nvidia drivers (usually a better performance compared to the card manufacturers drivers) you'll loose all the extra's the card offers (like TV out). If you don't want to loose those extra's, you'll need the drivers the card manufacturer provides on it's website.

I have downloaded new drivers but sadly this has not corrected the problem the driver that was download was "winXP/2000 41.09" from the Nvidia site.

Still the game does not work and i have tried the compatibily wizard and yet it doesnt work.

My main concern is this issue i have with direct x do you know of a way to make it download a freash copy of there site?

Direct x hangs and then tells me that a file was nt copyied it s always the dame one called "MSPQM.SYS" and is located in c:windowssystem32drivers

and so i dont know what the problem is

recentaly a new direct x problem has occured when i got into DXDIAG it says "the last time this program was opened there was a preoblem with directsound. Do you wan to bypass" if ou say yes you get aload more of these error but at diffrent part such as direct draw

do you know ow to fix the problem or will a clean reformat and reload do the trick

Most Microsoft programms just download as an installer programm that contact's Microsfot when you try to install the programm. In that process it evaluates if your MS Windows version has a legal registration number. If not. It will generate an error or doesn't install at all. So if your MS Windows version is an illigal version the only way to install DirectX9 is to find the who 32 MB install file.. . not that it is that hard to find .. . ::) ;)

Westwood has 2 [ one, two ] topics about a fatal C&C Generals crash.

It seems there are a few problems [ *cought* millions *cough* ] related to VIA chip's, which could be solved going to this site and download the 4-in-1 drivers found here.

I'm not shure at this point on the specific type of MOBO you have, and of the RAM in it. If you know, could you post them ?

• 2 weeks later...

thx that makes it all better

but the person i spoke sounded like she didnt know any thing but i can get drect x to work and the more i think about it thta muct be the problm. which makes me think is there away to uninstall dx then reinstall in