Cable modem issue?

A friend of mine recently picked up E:BfD... and is having an interesting problem. Every time he plays, his cable modem seems to lose its downstream link, necessitating resetting of either the modem (a Toshiba PCX2200; CAT5 Ethernet connection) or his comp (2.6GHz P4; 512MB DDR; GeForce Ti 4400; Soundblaster Audigy II running WinXP). Perhaps some of you gentlemen can be of assistance in resolving this problem.

Has anyone run into this problem when playing E:BfD under Win XP(Home):

After playing for any length of time(single player), when I attempt to go online, I'm unable to make any internet connection unless I 1: Shut down the comp. for at least 1 minute or 2: Unplug and disconnect the cable modem for 1-3 minutes.

I'm currently using a P4(2.6 GHz) system with 512MB DDR RAM,GeForce 4 Ti4400 video card and SB Audigy 2 Soundcard.

The problem happens after quitting the program. Windows compatibility mode does not help. My friend, as you have likely guessed, apparently forgot I'd ask for him and proceeded to do so himself.

Ehhrr.. I just asked him to try the compatibility mode :)

I will merge the threads into one :)

My connection is by Ethernet connection (CAT 6 cable) directly to the cable modem. I am currently using Norton Internet Security 2002 for firewall and anti-virus protection. The problems I have been having have occurred after single player games and started when I added the Shared Internet components part of Emperor. Uninstalling these components and using Windows XP Compatability Mode did not correct the problem.

I'm going to bet the problem is related to Norton. Disabling didn't do the trick, but I want to bet that if you'd uninstall Norton and then re-install EBFD with the shared internet compenents, it's going to work. How ever, if you're happy with this situation, I'd say happy gaming again :)

One common thread I have seen on the message boards is with Norton 2003 (which has gotten alot of bad reviews for bug problems).2002 (AV or Internet Security had not had the problems mentioned (lockups,crashes,etc)with Emperor and I had no problems with my modem untill I reinstalled the game with the Shared Internet components.(the buffer in the modem would overload and block internet access untill cleared). I'm wondering if there is a specific conflict with the internet components and NIS 2002,and a way around it?

just as a comment, I'm not that positief about Norton 2002 and 2003 myslef. It's integrating itself even more in your software then before, and the last time I tried to install it my Windows Installer compleatly crashed itself. And guess what you need in order to install a new version of Windows Installer ? ;D