Characters/Styles of play in DG-RPG

quoudam72

And that's the way a House should do business Shaddam from that perspective (military w/economic ties to another/other Houses). Mercs are always the strongest military because well that is their focus battle although economic gain can create longevity something that will be very important in any game of this nature. Mahdi I like your idea also although I won't be doing it just to piss people off ;) instead it will be to establish a foundation within in the game. Let me ask either one of you guys (Shaddam or Mahdi)  this is there anyway within the game to have say hidden bases on several planets without other players detecting them without having to do an extensive search for said bases? If you do not know the answer could one of you guys ask for me in the forums at DG.

That's fine with me I thought I would ask because you and Mahdi have more contact with those forums at Dune Generations than I have at the present time. I'll just check your updates (Mahdi's also) on the FED2K home page in the future for the answer. Shaddam was able to answer the question about secret bases on another thread (the thread is FED2k DG Clan? started by trh5000) the answer was yes about the secret bases.

(just curious..alot of "old guys" are gone now...yogurt,,,ackabar,,or we just haredly hear from them...just want to welcome all the new guys in..though im kinda late lol anywaz bak on topic)

the best way to play the game in my point of view is to  play with realli close friends...not backstabber egotiskale friends......i haf around 10 buddies who would want this game so bad in mah skewl and we will stick with each other just one question though......"can uchoose where to put ut house and planet so u are close to ur friends???

anywaz our ten would be 2 military ,3 mercanary and 5 commercial

this is weird but wut we would do is the 2 military would kinda be like the "conscript armies...if we want to atack another house and win the military would be like one MAJOR attack force taking on the brunt of the enemy in almost none tactical battles (ie trench or head on charges )

the mercs will be kinda like the "commados" of the army taking on the armies tactically but "behind the scneces" destroy the economy and all that..so that the military can "role" right in so its like fight hurt and crush"

another way we win is through manpower we ove rpower them lol

but can u choose to put it near another planet that u want??

like an allies?? so u can help each other realli quickly i mean with the guild tranporting allies will time matter from one place to another planet???

or is it instneouse..how will they determine time and distance...i mean in 1 month is 50 yrs..it cant be 1 day cause well...no one asks for help and waits for (game time) 3 months lol  8)

The description of how the planet picking will work by Phillippe Baude was pretty vague, from the way I understand it will generate a planet in a random location and if it's specifications aren't to your liking you have the option of having another one randomly selected.

So there is little control over the location, but not total control.

"In fact, when a new player connects himself for the first time on a server Dune Generations, it will have created its house (Name of the leader, type of house, type of planet...). According to all its criteria, a search is carried out to find a corresponding planet to him. If this one, is not found, a new solar system is generated with a certain number of planets (algorithm of creation ensuring the unicity of each generated planet). The player will then see himself affecting one of these planets, whereas others in the same system are assigned to NPC... The universe is thus in constant evolution with the arrival of new players. On the other hand, there is no concept of geography of the solar systems (card of the systems)."

That's the quote about the generation of planets, I got it off a French forum so it's been run through a translator.  Which certainly doesn't help with the confusion any.

I'm assuming space travel will be instantaneous since this is a real time game.

The only thing I've heard on the game time is that one real time month is 50 years in the game.

So that's about 1 and 2/3 years a real time day.

That means you could have a child in the game and then he will be mature in less than 2 weeks real time.

Shaddam IV died when he was about 70 years old, the Baron Harkonnen when he was 83 years old, Lady Jessica when she was 102, Hasimir Fenring at 92.  

So I guess the average life expectancy was about 87 years old for nobles (taking into account unnatural death).  Which means that in 1 and 2/3 months your main character will probably be dead, unless you clone him etc. :)

So with that kind of time frame for a characters life expectancy If I understand this the correct way you will have to make a gholas from your characters at regular periods in the game. Does that mean after a certain point in the game everyone will be gholas or the game will have a large amount of ghola-players who are really copies of characters who have died 1 2/3 months ago?  ??? ??? ??? ???

Angel of Death asked about 'atomics' on another thread but I do not see where anyone had an answer for that question. I will ask here since we are all here, what about atomics in DG will they be avaliable and if so where would a player/House get them? And by aquiring them will the NPC's lay some sort of judgement apon those who use/have them kinda like the 'Great Convention' spoken of in Frank Herbert's novels of Dune?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My original plan was to probably play a trader house, but as head of the  The Vanguard I think I'm gonna be quite the target so I've since decided to go military.  I know mercenary will be tougher, but I think being all about battles with no trading and no real control of planets would get really repetitve after a while.

As we (The Vanguard) are also enemies of anyone who breaks the great convention, I think that the military might come in handy for reasons other than defense  ;)