Mentats

TMA_1

These guys have always interested me. I just love them in the book and have always pictured them just like how they looked in Lynch's version of Dune. Eccentric, unkempt, and extremely intelligent and linear with logic. What do you guys think? how did you picture the Mentat and what most interests you about the order.

Well, I saw the movie before I read the books, but I always picture the mentats similarly to the movie (God, this sentence is a grammatical nightmare!). Although I'm not exactly sure why they have very bushy eyebrows (the book said Thufir had bushy eyebrows, but I didn't think they were that bushy. :)), or why they wear fur coats over their uniforms.

The mentats always interested me because they really represent the resilience of humanity. Problem: We can't use computers to think for us. Solution: Transform people into living computers.

Also, I was always a big fan of Piter, and the whole idea of the twisted mentats.

hehe yeah. many piter's grown in axolotl tanks. by the way I dont like the prequel's idea of the axolotl tank. From all my reading, I think that how they showed them in the book House Corrino was silly.

exactly. Well in the DE, axolotl tanks have gone through many evolutionary changes. They existed in the ancient past and have continually been modified through the centuries. The tleilaxu took some as their own and perfected them. Nobody knows what they look like or how they work exactly. I do believe other axolotl tanks were destroyed during the butlerian jihad. at least that is what I remember from the DE.

I also love frank's other books. And how the DE's idea of the axolotl tank like in Destination: Void or the whipping star series is almost identical.I wish frank was alive so I could ask him many questions about things unsolved. I guess though that it makes it fun that they are so mysterious.