Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Thanks for the reply Duke. One other question though, what OS are you running ?

btw, this makes the score:

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 2000 or newer game runs => 1

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game doesn't run => 3

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game runs => 0

btw Duke, couldn't it be the virus which messed up your comp (just a thought)?

*disapointed* Nyar...

Guest jeromeku

Hey guys I just wanted to throw out a thanks for your help as well. It's a nice thing you do for ppl by trying to help out. Too bad Westwood wouldn't appreciate such detail & determination on your parts' to help us.

number6 - I would have to disagree with you. Westwood does have some responsibility considering the game is their code. Though thats not to say other software vendors aren't to blame either. They can't just release something and expect all driver/software updates to fix their game when even their software has bugs that could cause these problems. As users we can only debug so far, but Westwood could try to replicate the problem & debug down to the last line of code causing it. Though in this case it's tough to replicate so it's a matter of how much you care about losing just two customers as a company.

BTW - Westwood support never even noticed that my dxdiag files were dated 1999. Proving either they didn't truly look at it, or they know something about that report none of us understand.

jeromeku, with what you just said about DirectX, does that make the following score ?

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 2000 or newer game runs => 1

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game doesn't run => 4 <=

Comps with DirectX 8 containing files 1999 or older game runs => 0

*disapointed* Nyar...

Guest Duke_Leeeto

My operating system is Windows 98. Why the heck do I have files as old as 1998 in my DirectX 8? Isn't it supposed to be new???

Duke, thanks again for replying.

Were trying to figure out the directX issue.

Im having Windows ME and all my files are 2000 or older. All Windows 98 systems (so far) have 1999 or older, but even Windows 2000 has files 1999 or older, so my guess it's not just OS depending. In your case, were even talking about a fresh re-install of Windows...

I'm starting to wonder if there's a difference in DirectX 8 on the Dune cd and the one directly from the Microsoft site... but hey, that's just lame old me...

*very disapointed* Nyar...

Guest jeromeku

Nyar,

I installed Directx 8.0a from Microsoft's site myself. I figured the CD version would be older.

Though that might be a sticking point here. I wonder if there are a particular build of dlls that Emperor works with properly. Would explain why Westwood can't recreate these problems (if they have really tried).

Guest Devinoch-WS

I'm not tech support. I don't know how many times I have to say this before someone hears me. You can ask me tech support questions all you want and the answer is still going to be "I don't know." I don't do tech support, I've never claimed to do tech support.

Dan-WS is from tech support and he is working to help people, but when I glanced through the troubleshooting posts, I could tell most of those people have not contacted tech support. Old drivers, a task manager bar that's full of things -- start with tech support.

Don't just post things on the message board and assume you're going to get all the answers revealed to you. Work with tech support to solve the problem. Don't expect an instant answer, but they will work with you to solve your problem. If they can't figure out the problem, it gets elevated, until eventually, if NO ONE can figure it out, it gets passed up to producer Chris Longpre, who is the last step. But right now, Chris has very few problems.

You may not like the way we do things, but 90% of people's problems can be solved by the things listed in the FAQ, which is why the first communication is always an autoresponse. If that doesn't help, send a second email and you'll have a live tech support person working with you. Also, your problem will be entered into the database and that database helps us identify and fix problems. This is why our system is in place.

Devinoch

Guest Duke_Leeeto

Nyar, we likely won't get a reply from anyone about DirectX, simply because, why would ppl bother? If the game works fine for them, why bother trying to help others solve a problem by wasting time looking at your DirectX files? I know, myself, if the game worked fine I wouldn't bother at all reading this post, I would be playing on WOL right now. . .

The world we live in is like that. Westwood, and the gamers of this game, seem to have the "snooze you lose attitude." Truth is, I doubt ww cares about the ppl that have problems. Why waste time helping a minority like us when they can have fun with the majority of ppl, that the game works fine, by playing it, and making those players happy aswell?

WW ppl are only human, I can't really blame them. If I had a choice beteewn playing a game or checking throughout endless code, for endless hours, for a little, tiny, punny performance/logic error that's causing this, well, I know what I would choose. . .

Duke, I agree to a surtain point with what you're saying. You may have seen my post to the mods in here. Dispite the fact that I'm still a bit disapointed, it still stands that I will continue to defend WW.

Tech support ain't an easy job, especially if you can't recreate the problem. This DirectX issue might shed some new light on the issue, but even then, we need to have patience.

I can't give any advise in how to deal with this DirectX issue. For example, I do not know what happens if you delete the older files, then re-install DirectX again. I have therefore asked Devinoch to pass it on to tech support. I know he will, so please have some patience.

Again, it's not flaming you, I even agree with you to some point, so please do not take it as a flaming msg, just trying te help (both sides for that matter).

Nyar...

number6, I'm not saying that it's the solution (or cause), but till now, it's still strange the game works on comps with files being from 2000 or newer and that it doesn't work on a comp with files from 1999 or older... that's why it would be good to have more people replying to the DirectX issue...

Nyar...

Guest alley_cat

Devinoch, that is quite a cruel thing to say. It seems like you didn't read al we said.

A) When I first tried to send to the tech support my info through the EAsy program, I got a response saying that I should no longer send e-mails to there, but use the system that is on Westwood support site. I did that, I sent my EAsy report twice, once for each freezing problem I had. That was over a week ago, and still I didn't even get an auto response. And the RAM is not the issue here since the game freezes even with minimum thing working in the background. You shouldn't only conecntrate on my single report where it was after a long time of system use. So we come here to tell our problem and hope someone can solve it. Can you actually blame me?

And if Dan is the tech support, why are you the one posting and not he is? It's not that I don't want YOU to post, it's that if he is tech support, I will sure like to see him here. :)

I think that I was very calm all along, tried everything possible that people suggested, and never flamed Westwood even once. The least I deserve is some sort of a response from tech support, don't you agree?

Guest jeromeku

Devinoch,

I've been all the way through tech support already. Though I think I'm one of the few to come out knowing that Westwood support has a dumbfounded look on their faces after trying to solve my problem. I've been suggested to the warranty department or I could send my box in so they can debug on it (Like I'd trust them with my box out of my sight). Chris only has a few issues, because well they close/delete tickets before they are truly solved (like mine). Just don't get me started on them again.

Nyar & number6 have been far more helpful than Westwood support. In all fairness, even they are a bit perplexed by the problem.

Yet they've read my reports & posts and paid attention to detail. Something Westwood support could learn.

Guest alley_cat

Just a news flash.

I got back home, downloaded the 1.05 driver from 3 diffrent places, and got the same message from the Windows Installer saying: "This language of this installation pack is not supported by your operating system"

My operating system supports completely both hebrew and english, so I really wonder what the problem is. All the sites I downloaded from are english ones.

Guest Devinoch-WS

Jerome, you truly are the exception to the rule. You are, to date, the only person whose case I've looked up who A) worked with tech support all the way through and B) we couldn't come up with a solution for.

I'm going to talk to the producer about your issue later today, but honestly, you might want to consider sending us your box, simply because we could take a serious look at the problem and try and figure it out with the machine in front of us.

Devinoch

jeromeku, I went over your specs 6 times, but couldn't find any similarity between your specs and Alley_cat's. Only thing I can tell is that borh BIOS versions are a bit old, but admitting at the same time => The PII400, on which I tested the game, had the same BIOS version as yours and ran okay, so shouldn't be that. DirextX test prove that there's no issue there. I'm starting to get lost here, especially now you've also tried all the stuff I posted above... :(

I'll keep looking for an answer though, so am not giving up on you, but at this point, I would welcome any support, especially now that 2 people have the exact same problem :D

Nyar...

Guest jeromeku

Devinoch,

I'm sorry but I have personally sensitive information on my workstation. I have no time to reformat & clear it off or live without the use of the tools/applications I use. I can't risk having the box come back broken, cuz of some Westwood employee who thought it ok to delete something. It is not an option. I offered to actually meet you guys half way and bring it to the EA office (where tech support appears to come from) near San Mateo. I even offered to run differing compiles of code that your programmers could come up with, and send any output. Ergo... Once again proving my flexibility in trying to find a solution, but Westwood support only looking to wash their hands of a _real_ problem.

Since Westwood can't "trust" me with differing compiles of the code, I definitely can not "trust" them with my box. So this is my last ditch effort at remaining a faithful Westwood customer (as I have been in the past), and it's relying a community of ppl who don't know anything about the Westwood code. Devinoch... you've been a great help. I sure hope they pay you & Dan well :).

Guest alley_cat

you mean the 1.07?

Well, when I got my voodoo, the most updated version was 1.06, and than 1.07.

Those 2 versions I was able to install without any problem. The 1.07 extracts first files to some directory, than you press on setup.exe, the installer starts and installs all the needed things.

Maybe there was something wrong in the first place with the installer of the 1.05, which maybe only supported English OS, so the future versions of the drivers were fixed. Notice the sizes of the files:

1.05: 10 MB

1.06 and .07: something like 8 MB.

Guest jeromeku

Nyar,

I told you it's a really messed up problem. I even have Westwood stumped, but the only concession they would give me is return the game or send them my computer so they could debug it. Obviously that is not much of a choice. I'm not going to trust them with my box out of my sight so returning it is my only option with them. I even suggested they send me a debug exe and I could send them any output it generates. Of course they won't even do that. Oh yeah... did I mention that they don't make it very easy to return as well?

Guest -X-ray

Iden... we seem to have the same Viedo card driver, but your driver is certified and mine isn`t.

where did u get this driver?

Guest -X-ray

Nyar, this is your sound card info:

Sound Card : Creative SB Live!

Sound Driver : emu10k1.vxd

Driver Version : 4.12.01.0801

and this is mine:

Sound Card: Creative SB Live! Value

Sound Driver: emu10k1.vxd

Driver Version: 4.11.01.0711

do you see the difference on the version? do u believe it's because of our different operating systems? I'll move to windows ME if i won't find any other solution.