Betrayal at Krondor

Terror

Yo, andrew! or anyone else who has played this game... I kinda wanna play it right now.. on this pc. But the problem however is, is that it won't run... not enough extended memory and stuff... And i can't create a bootdisk until i have enough of that memory. (well i have i think, but the game is too old to recognize the amount i have). Anyway.. the problem is also that it cannot play on pc's with over 32 mb of ram, cuz then it recognizes 64 mb as 0,64 mb or something like that (i know, kinda strange, but pc's couldn't handle so much in the past so.) Well i solved this problem by taking out 64 of my 96 mb of ram on my old comp, create a bootdisk and put the ram back in. (it kinda went wrong and my pc was a bit f****d up but eventually BAK did work.

However. On my new pc, i have 2 chips of 256 mb ram... so do you possibly know how i can solve this problem? thnx.

yes, i do.

the only way i could get BAK to work on my brand new computer was to get a program called "VDMS"

here is a forum topic on it..not sure if links are there though. and the game did work. you just right click on the file(krondor.exe or something) and click on run wit VDMS.

http://pub15.ezboard.com/frpgcommunity52347frm1.showMessage?topicID=103.topic

i think you can get VDMS here: http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

I beleive that VDMS can help play other older games also

I also have 512 ram and VDMS works perfectly...

This topic can be the official BAK topic...so have you beat BAK before? when i first played it i only got 1/2way thru and couldnt figure out how to beat it. i spent like 20 hours trying to figure out(didnt think of walkthroughs) then like 1-2 years later i started again and beat the game. It was awesome adn i felt sad at end of game(for a character)

I tried playing BAK about a month back..put got bored(i dont know how ;) )

i havent read the books, It is based on Raymond E. Feist books. (or one of them) i think it may just be based on book, but story made up. Books were published based on game i beleive. I have the first book based on the game(text).

http://www.hi.is/~eybjorn/krondor/krondor.html

is the most comprehensive website about BAK and has info on every deatail in game, you can even download the entire site(30mb) if you wish.

i havent read the books, It is based on Raymond E. Feist books. (or one of them) i think it may just be based on book, but story made up. Books were published based on game i beleive. I have the first book based on the game(text).

http://www.hi.is/~eybjorn/krondor/krondor.html

is the most comprehensive website about BAK and has info on every deatail in game, you can even download the entire site(30mb) if you wish.

btw, the 3 links brought no solution, i already tried em. again and again :(

however. i do know that the game was based on the book (i started reading the manual for the first time a few days ago :) )

And there are multiple books. I think i will start reading them cuz the characters in the game also came from the books

Krondor: The Betrayal Book I of The Riftwar Legacy

By: RAYMOND E. FEIST

Synopsis:

Based on the game Betrayal at Krondor Published by Dynamix, Inc.

That is what it says at first of ebook i have. so game is based on books, but certain books were based on game.

yes there are multiple books, wouldnt mind reading some. i will check my library.EDIT - nothing at university library... :'(

I also have 2nd ebook. but not like you want to actually read off a computer.

Can you name the moredhel in my sig? ::)

Would be funny if we started a little Bak fan club in sigs.

no, it has been too long ago :(

however.. i'll quite this from the BAK manual:

So, when John Cutter and the folks at Dynamix said they wanted to "Design a game felt like one of your books," I said "Right," with a knowing wink and a nod

OMG. look at this site i found...(has to do with midkemia

http://www.shoalcreek.com/feist/index.htm

and here is a map of the biggest continent..(near the middle you can make out the map from BAK. if they made a game where people controlled towns and etc. it would be so kool. even better would be to make a BAK game that includes the whole world of Midkemia, it would take like 1 year to walk everywhere.

http://www.shoalcreek.com/feist/midgaz.htm

If there are 224 million square feet in BAK to explore, tehn i can only imagine that there would be billions in a full fludged world.

• 6 months later...

according to my BAK box there's indeed 224 million square feet to explore

btw, have you played return to krondor? or betrayal at antara? are they any good?

I have played RTK and the demo for Betrayal in(?) Antara.

RTK was a good game although very short, the graphics are ok, but it gives you a good feel for Krondor, the city.

Are there any other RPG games that offers 224 million square feet?

(sorry for bumping just noticed I had not replied to it)

Only Betrayal at Krondor was made by Dynamix.

"Return to Krondor" and "Antara" are both worthless POS'es made by different developers than Betrayal. They suck.

Betrayal at Krondor was based in the universe of Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar books, starting with "Magician" (later split into two books for "The Author's Preferred Edition"). Betrayal at Krondor was not based on any one book by Feist, but rather it was a new story set in the Midkemia Universe.

Feist did not write Betrayal at Krondor. That was done by ghostwriters who have a similar style. He did have much creative input into the game and oversaw it's development.

Years after Betrayal at Krondor came out, fans were asking for Feist to do a real book that follows the Betrayal at Krondor story. He then wrote a book based on the game, called "Krondor: The Betrayal". This book was written by Feist himself, and mostly followed the events of the game, with a few exclusions and new inclusions based on his literary freedom.

For those wondering how I know all this, it's because Betrayal at Krondor is the best game ever made and I've been a die-hard fanboy since around 1994.

PS: Both of you guys (Terror and Andrew) knew that I am a fanboy and you didn't even seek my input on this thread. That offends me very much.