Emperor - probably driver problem - need help

I used to play emperor no problems, and I THINK I've played since I upgraded to a geforce 4 ti 4200. But yesterday I decided to have a game, and emperor gave me an illegal operation when i started it. I reinstalled and now when i run it, my monitor goes black and nothing comes up. The game is running.. i can hear it, and if i alt-tab back out to windows everything's fine. My drivers are the latest, I use windows 98se, I have an AMD 1.2 thunderbird 384 megs ran, geforce 4 ti 4200 and a panasonic floppy drive. driver problem, display problem, emperor problem? help would be appreciated.

-Nebachadnezza

Thanks for the speedy response. I tried that link in your signature, but the tips didn't help my situation. I would also like to note that my screen doesn't just go black as i previously said. It's as if my monitor goes into low-power mode. The screen goes black, you can hear it power down, and the light begins to flash.

I originally attached a screen shot of my dxdiag results.. which i promptly removed after mr.Maha Gobbie pointed out my error.

-Nebachadnezza

Ya the file attachment features of this forum software aren't the greatest unfortunately.

Things you might try would be updating the drivers on your video card, 11/18/2002 is your version date so there should be something newer. Also DirectX 9 is out now and might help.

DirectX Files Tab: Several files (ddraw.dll, ddhelp.exe, d3d8.dll, etc.) are beta versions, which are unsupported and could cause problems. You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.

That seems odd. It says you are using DX9 but says those files are still beta versions.

First thing I would advice is to upgrade your VIA drivers.

Second, try to set your desktop resolution to default refresh rate, in stead of optimal.

Make sure all background programs are closed. Press ctrl-alt-delete just once. You can close all, except for "Systray" & "Explorer".

Make sure all power save settings are turned off (also in the BIOS).

Try lowering the hardware acceleration.

Try to delete the display adapter and reboot. This way Windows will detect it again and reinstall it.