Crashed

I've been playing it from a DVD drive to [ not knowing you dind't need a CD for about one year :P ].

Don't think that's the problem....

DirectX 8.0 should be enough to. But with 9 just released you could give that one a try to.

AS for the rest . . .I can think of just one persone .. .The Doc.

Okay ....

Now it's still not working right.. but ... before: I start the game.. and then exit.. in menu .. and the screen would show an illegal command ... well I've corrected that now... by making sure the settings for the colors match the video config.. for dune.

Theres 3 options in the video config for dune

Video

Colors

ZBuffer

Now I don't know what ZBuffer means ... it comes in either 16 or 32 bits... can anyone tell me what this does.. and if I can match the settings for the pc to it.. somewhere....

Thanks

Now I don't know what ZBuffer means ... it comes in either 16 or 32 bits... can anyone tell me what this does.. and if I can match the settings for the pc to it.. somewhere....

Thanks

Z-buffer (also called depth buffer) is used to create 3d models (models that appear on the screen, like a plane, or units). It calculates and places the model right on the spot where according to the program it should be, together with the right perspective. Meaning, if you play an FPS for example, if you look at someone who's far away, he/she can't be the same size as you (obviously). Z-buffer calculates the distance and place. When it's done, it put's the model on the screen where it should be (or passes the info, not sure about that one). Mind you, there's more to it and not completely correct, but I kept it as simple as possible :)

The option 16 or 32 bits is just the graphical detail of how the model should look on the screen. And to answer your question, no there's no place where you can match that with your pc.

You said the problem changed a bit, can you tell me how it changed and what the problem is now ?

Thanks for the zbuffer advice...

Before I did any changes to the PC settings:

I start the game either press enter or click the mouse during pre-game load up or when it says press the action button and the game screen would dis-appear and I return to windows, at the bottom of the screen it would have a small box simlar to the web, when you have a few screens open at once. I click on it and be on the menu start up for dune. If I exit the game now an illegal command would come up. It crashes then if I get killed in the training mode or in the lift and the edge of the cliff in the beginning of new game.

I changed the color settings of the pc to 16 rather than 32 and it changed the problem slighlty, same thing when in pre-game and same in training mode and beginning. Only thing now is the mouse won't work for changing the camera during the game and when I exit from the game in the menu list, no illegal command comes up but I do get a glimpse of a similar to MS-DOS Prompt screen show up with error on it and then it's gone.

Thinking all this over again either my pc is possessed or the game just doesn't like my pc lol one way or the other dune is unplayable and heading head first for a new year in the bin.

Ahh I can understand the confusion, for me I originally posted this message in the frank herberts dune forum, to the game I have been referring to. This forum discuss all the dunes, so it seems we have come to a brick wall.

The shadows in the game are off putting, very strange unless of course it is something to do with the game malfunctioning.

Little history....

Well dune to me started way back in my amiga days, the two dune games (dune 1 and 2) were very addictive.. and I played them all the time. Anyway those were the good old times... unfortunately dune on the pc has not lived up to my expectations, ahh nevermind.. much to my disapointment. Another fav game for the amgia was sensible soccer...got it for the pc... and I can't config all the dos settings... for it to play .. so another disappointment.. nevermind ... my amiga game years were the best ... pc ... games have not impressed me as much .. yet...

Happy New Year All....

DS.