EBFD Mapping Question

Tezcatlipoca

Here is a question for ya techs:

Basically, i wanted to try my hand at mapping with EBFD as i have for just about every other game i've purchased. So for the second time (the first time was a big failure) i download the mapper and this time went through the tutorials. I did just fine. So i decided at that point to try and make a map from scratch. Set the map to 256x256 (i like big maps) grapped the cliff and went to start drawing them on. As soon as i clicked for the first node *BOOM* mapper crashes. I tried it about 11 more times, each trying different cliff types, different map sizes, and placing them in different locations on the map, to no avail. Only result is the crash message:

"DuneMapEditor.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

Standard crash error message of course. Any ideas whats going on and how i can fix it? Runnin win2kProf OS.

Also... for any Starsiege:Tribes fans out there that are interested, work on the DUNE mod for Tribes is well on its way. Check the website at http://www.jmods.bravepages.com and click on the DUNE Mod link on the side menue.

Well, i killed any extranious processes i had executing, and it seemed to work smoothly, (up until i tried to open one for reference, and it crashed the map editor). Quit bazar and a bit annoying as it means i cant have my servers and such running while i do anything with the mapper but.. at least it works.

However, i did run into a new problem that perhaps someone can help me with: Basically, i cannot load the new map into the game. I'm not sure that it is either saving correctly, or to the right location. On loading up the mapper program, and whenever i build, it supplies an error box saying that it cannot find the installed game, and i figure that this mostlikly is related to the problem with the maps not loading. This happened originally, so i reinstalled the game completely by default locations and settings, yet it still complains. I currently have the mapmaker folder sitting in the main Emperor folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help btw.

I got the mapeditor program saved in the emperor/mapeditor directory. When you "build" your map without errors you should be able to play it.

After the "building" your map will be automatically placed in the emperor/data/maps directory. Go and look in that directory if you can find the new map, it should be there. When starting the emperor game go and find the new map at the bottom of the map list in capital lettres. Select the map and start the game...

Yep. as i described, my setup is identical to yours. I too read that portion of the help file. Currently, the map i wish to load ARE in that folder, although im not perfectly positive what file type should be in there--

*.dme, *.cpF, *.cpt or the directory with the map's name, containing

*.cpF, *.cpt, *, *.xbf and texture

--but they are all currently there, and still no go. As i said it is probably somehow linked to the error i get when i try to build, or start the application:

"Cannot find the current instalation of Emperor, maps will be placed in c:gamesemperordatamaps"

As i also stated before, i did attempt to reinstall emperor, and left all instilation options on default. As the mapmaker isn't really an install, i did not "reinstall" it, and figure unpacking the compressed file it came in and copying over the current one would not help.

im not perfectly positive what file type should be in there

Are you talking about the mapeditor or the mappacker program?

When you press the "building button" of the mapeditor the following 2 files will be created: the test file and the test.xbf file. These files should be in the directory emperor/data/maps/mapname, as for each map there is a seperate directory.

As for the error, maybe a reinstalment would help?

I was talking about the Map editor, as i said multiple times. And as i also said multiple times, i did reinstall it. However, i did find my latest problem. I suspected that the registry wasnt being updated when i uninstalled/installed it last, since i was installing it under a partial permission user. Thus today, i uninstalled and reinstalled under full access, which updated the registry. The mapeditor now recognizes the game, and everything worked out (fairly) smoothly, and the game now loads the maps.

Thanks anyway.

Only result:

"DuneMapEditor.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program."

The mapeditor gives regulary that message even when nothing is wrong ( no errors or warnings ). After i receive that message i start up the mapeditor again and restart building the map.