HUGE DX8 problem

ethan

Looked at your DxDiag and there isn't anything that looks out of the ordinary except the DX8 D3D failure:

"Direct3D test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)"

That does not look good. Since DXDIAG is having an error I would suggest reinstalling DX8.1. If that does not work you might want to go to nvidia.com and download the latest retail drivers for your video card. Since you are able to play 3D games with the DX7 drivers I am guessing that some of your DX files must have been corrupted or something. Good Luck!

Looked at your DxDiag and there isn't anything that looks out of the ordinary except the DX8 D3D failure:

"Direct3D test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)"

That does not look good. Since DXDIAG is having an error I would suggest reinstalling DX8.1. If that does not work you might want to go to nvidia.com and download the latest retail drivers for your video card. Since you are able to play 3D games with the DX7 drivers I am guessing that some of your DX files must have been corrupted or something. Good Luck!

Indeed. Usually when DirectX 8 is installed, it says "DDI Version: 8", instead of 7...

Indeed. Usually when DirectX 8 is installed, it says "DDI Version: 8", instead of 7...

Good point about the DDI version.

Try to remove the video card drivers and revert to normal VGA display adapter. Then shutdown the pc (no restart). Then turn on the pc again and let it find the video card again. First have it find the drivers itself. When done, update the video card drivers. Try to run the dxdiag test again. If it still fails, try reinstalling dxdiag again. The above needs to be done in that order..