how do I set up to play dune 2000 over LAN

Dear Nyarlathotep

yep the network is working and I am able to play other games

when i go to multiplay option on dune 2000 it only gives me either modem or nulmodem as choices...yet it talks about LAN in the book...I am not sure if I am missing something somewhere...mind you my kids figure I am missing something upstairs ;)

cheers

old hippy one

um..ok this is gonna sound dumb...but what is ipx/spx protocol

I set up network across two computers using the help wizard in xp (I am running xp home on both computers)and a cross over cable..I'm learning about puters as I go...So Im not sure if the protocol was set up or not..I am open to learning from some one who knows their way around computers

cheers

hippy one

Fellow Oldie, you've come to the right place ;D

Right click on the icon on your desktop that says "My Network places" and choose "Properties". You'll there see TCP/IP for several devices that you may have installed (dial up, Network card). If you there do not see the IPX/SPX protocol for the same devices as for TCP/IP, do the following:

1) Click on the "Add" button.

2) Select "Protocol" and click "Add".

3) In the colum "Network protocols", select "IPS/SPX" and click okay.

3) Windows should now install the IPX/SPX network protocol. Reboot if needed and try Dune 2000 again in LAN.

g'day Nyarlathotep

I tried as you suggested..no luck I have right clicked onto the icon you mentioned and it takes me to network conections it shows my dial up and lan..there is no add or protocol..just an icon for a new conection..which only gives me LAN or dial up options :- no options for IPS/SPX...This is xp connection wizard...is there another way to set up the above?

cheers

confused old hippy ???

• 2 weeks later...