The Dial Up Debate (continued)

Dunlavy

8) 8) I thought the topic was good. Hope you don't mind if I create my own post for it... 8) 8)

-------

Now listen...

I pay for AT&T Cable internet in my area. Why? Because I'd kick my own ass for everyone else if I tried to play an RTS or first person shooter online with 56Krap. Besides, I love fast internet. A true computer guru doesn't tolerate pages that load in less than three seconds.

For those with 56K: Like it or not, you will be discrimated against. As politically incorrect as it is to verbally bash someone who can't afford to purchase a cable or ADSL modem and pay off the monthly bills, the fact of the matter remains that 56K users deteriorate the online experience for others. If this isn't true, why are more and more game servers banning users with high pings?? This is especially true in FPS shooters like Jedi Knight 2, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. In games like these, high pings lead to consequences such as players "popping" around on screen as though they are teleporting... and fragging these jumping beans is next to impossible short of the rocket launcher.

On Emperor: Battle For Dune the effects are far less noticable, but they are there. Users with low-end machines coupled with dismal bandwidth rates can cause a stuttering, crawling game speed for everyone else they're matched against (or with). THAT'S why I think Emprworm's quote "Why must I have to sacrifice my fun to sloth through lag soup for an hour in a game that should have taken only 20 minutes," speaks for this entire post.

Users with 56K should not attempt to tackle an elephant with a baseball bat. 56K is barely acceptable for internet browsing, so what kind of person assumes this lame, outdated technology can serve them sufficiently on online gaming servers?

This is Dunlavy (at work), speaking...

//**I'm bored so a little ranting was in order

to cheer myself up.**//

string1="idiot";

cout<"You are an &s.", string1>;

I don't really immerse myself in news about gaming consoles anymore. X-Box nothing but broadband? That's cool. Maybe PCs should be that way, too... at least gaming-wise. Hell, they're almost there. At my friend's apt. I couldn't get on ONE bloody server for Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

As politically incorrect as it is to verbally bash someone who can't afford to purchase a cable or ADSL modem and pay off the monthly bills, the fact of the matter remains that 56K users deteriorate the online experience for others

You are forgetting all the people that want to get cable, and can afford it, but can't get it because it's not available in the region >:(.

*mubles something about filthy cable facists*

j/k

You are forgetting all the people that want to get cable, and can afford it, but can't get it because it's not available in the region >:(.

*mubles something about filthy cable facists*

yep the same i said ...

I agree, its the software house's marketing department that should take the rap, not the end user. As most corporate decisions are financially driven, to lose out on a market share due to connection bandwidth would always play on their minds, whether it ultimately affects hardcore gamers or not.

Who can blame a prospective purchaser for gettig excited that the game is do-able on 56K! I live in a city, I am lucky unlike my neighboring gamers 3 miles away who are still on the dreaded dial up modem.